Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to convert my automatic to a standard on my 71 Chevelle. I have installed a 3899621 bell housing with a 10.5" clutch assembly on my small block 350. I believe the flywheel is a 168 tooth. My question is that my starter nosecone won't fit into the bellhousing or bolt up? I compared the nosecone to one I took off a 350 standard truck and it is identical. Is it possible that the 621 bell is only for a big block or is something mismatched with my flywheel and/or starter. Can anyone check the flywheel P.N? I bought the flywheel at a swap so I'm not positive its right. I thought 10.5", 168 tooth was all I needed?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The #621 is for the big 11" clutch/flywheel combo. They came stock on both big and small blocks. The 168 tooth flywheel sounds right however. Think perhaps you have the wrong starter.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
I think that the nose of the starter is different, look up DZ AUTO and email him or perhaps he will see this and post.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
there is only one way to fail, and thats to quit.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
There are only 2 different types of noses. Big block and small block are interchangable.
There is a nose for the 168 tooth (11" Clutch) flywheel and a nose for the 153 tooth flywheel/flexplate.
The bellhousing for the 168 tooth 11" flywheel has a large bump out where the starter nose fits. The 11" 168 tooth flywheel will not fit inside the smaller bellhousing.
Sounds to me like you have the wrong starter

[This message has been edited by Bob Tiley (edited 11-01-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.