Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys this ones for the Buick! I was wondering if anyone ca tell me how to check if it's the gen or V reg?

thanks
John

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Peter F. has a good method but don't know if he's around. Might try this in the meantime. Works for some people.

Troubleshooting a GEN light problem.
1, Remove the plug from the regulator.
2, Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
3, Measure the regulator connector brown wire to a good ground.
You should have around 12 volts.
4, If (3) is around 12 volts, switch the key to OFF.
5, Install the regulator connector.
6, Remove the plug from the alternator.
7, Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
8, Measure the alternator connector blue wire to a good ground.
You should have around 12 volts.
9, If (8) is around 12 volts, switch the key to OFF.
10, Install the alternator connector and start the engine.
11, Again measure the alternator connector blue wire to a good ground. You should have around 12+ volts.
Post back the results.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this system is a little different. The V reg has individual wires and it has an actual generator instead of an alternator.

Maybe it still works. Thanks!

John

·
Gold Founding Member
64,282 Posts
jumper across the BAT and ARM terminals and ground the field terminal to bypass the Voltage reg and make the generator full charge
If it charges, the problem is in the Regulator if not, it is in the Generator

You might just need to polorize it, sometimes it will loose it's magatism and all you have to do is jump across the BAT & ARM terminals for a second to get it going

don't run it for an extended period of time bypassed or it will through the solder out of the commutator

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean:
jumper across the BAT and ARM terminals and ground the field terminal to bypass the Voltage reg and make the generator full charge

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I learned something. Yes, the external regulator has more than one wire.
I thought the old Buick DC generators were an internally grounded field unit with a "F" terminal. The externally grounded field style generator would have an "ARM" terminal. Heck, maybe I'm backwards today.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I replace the brushes last night and still the same. This morning I put on a new V reg and polarized and still the same. I new something was wrong with the Gen for awhile. The gen was sparking out the back and making a whining sound and when I dissasembled it one of the brush wires was broken off. The noise went away after running for about 15 minutes. the Gen light is still on.

I'm going to dissasemble the gen next. Any ideas on what to look for?

Thanks
John

[This message has been edited by hilljack (edited 06-15-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.