Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a 66 Chevelle, 327/350 HP Vette motor (also from 66), I plan on changing out the Muncie shifter with a Hurst - any experience and/or recommendations for 60's era shifter or the more modern?

Which would give me the best performance?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
If you can find a good used unit or one that has been rebuilt you are better off than the new stuff sold now. I have noticed that the linkage is now made in China , I have had issues with the shifter arms not bolting on the transmission. I had to open them up with a dremel tool. The shifter bodies might be imported also, don't know for sure. Most older shifters can be rebuilt, there are a couple of good parts suppliers around.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Most older shifters can be rebuilt, there are a couple of good parts suppliers around.
pete1gto on ebay is one of, if not the best.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I found a seller ("shiftergeek" now gone) on eBay that built me a day 1 OEM Hurst comp plus for my M22 with correct/numbered everything. You just got to find who is restoring them and have one done, you wont regret it, mine shifts like a new Z06......well almost....

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw shiftergeek online today, but also Aquilles in Ohio... Great parts! going with the OEM Factory Hurst for period (66) correctness..

thanks,

Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
I can't talk about Hursts quality today, but last year I bought a Hurst shifter and install kit for my 68 and the quality then was outstanding. The whole deal on eBay was $450 shipped including a new ball. I had bought a Dynacorn reopop Muncie shifter and the quality was that of not qualifying as lawnmower equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts