Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a factory ribbed pulley on an alternator that has a V belt pulley? I want to change my V belt pulleys to the wide 6 rib crank, WP & alt without a tensioner, same rotation, these pulleys came from my RV 454 but I didn't have the alt to rob the pulley from, TIA, Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run the same set up on my cars. So far I've just gone down to the local parts supplier(autozone,advance auto, napa, ect) told them what I was doing and they would give me a pulley off of a core that was returned. Once they just needed "any" pulley to put back onto the core. Completely fixes thrown belts and slippage. Hard to find parts.
serp belt-1.jpg
serp belt-2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys I tried calling Alterstart in Tx but they were closed, you guys answered this Way faster (y) (y):)

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
I know member Slick71ss ran that pulley setup on his 71 chevelle.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a used pulley at Oreileys but I think its wrong? Seems to be 7 ribs?

·
Registered
Ryan
463 Posts
I’m definitely counting one more rib on the alternator pulley. I wonder if it’s a huge deal to run it anyways. 🤔

I don’t know if you’re willing to spend the coin but Jones Pullys have a ton of options if you’re having a hard time finding the correct alternator pulley. If I had the cash I’d buy a full set up from them.

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm hoping to just find an alt. pulley to work with my other pulleys, I'm thinking of trying this pulley after I clean the others and maybe they'll line up with just an extra groove? I haven't had time to hit a JY yet so maybe I'll wait to do that, this was free from a local parts store core pile, Edit I'm not to sure what pulleys I'll need when I convert to A/C so I'm trying to not spend much $ if I can help from it

·
Registered
Ryan
463 Posts
I'm hoping to just find an alt. pulley to work with my other pulleys, I'm thinking of trying this pulley after I clean the others and maybe they'll line up with just an extra groove? I haven't had time to hit a JY yet so maybe I'll wait to do that, this was free from a local parts store core pile, Edit I'm not to sure what pulleys I'll need when I convert to A/C so I'm trying to not spend much $ if I can help from it
What the hell is A/C?

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,084 Posts
I’m definitely counting one more rib on the alternator pulley. I wonder if it’s a huge deal to run it anyways. 🤔

I don’t know if you’re willing to spend the coin but Jones Pullys have a ton of options if you’re having a hard time finding the correct alternator pulley. If I had the cash I’d buy a full set up from them.
I use Jones 6 groove pulley's but a 5 rib belt Just leaves 1 groove open and I've never lost a belt since regardless of torque or rpm. They're not cheap but they are damn nice.

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
I will double check when I get home tonight but I am pretty sure the belt on my Tahoe is 6 rib. You can probably still get that pulley from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got an order from Summit and I hate paying shipping LOL, I'm hitting another parts store or JY, a new pulley after shipping from Summit is about $36 and I'm still not 100% sure what I'll be using when I add a/c, I might just try this one and have a Spare Rib (y)

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
Rick,
I know there isnt many of them left around but is there any chance you have a starter / alternator rebuild shop near you that might have a stash of pulleys ? I am fortunate to have one guy who still rebuilds starters and alternators near me. 90% of his work now days is on heavy duty and industrial type stuff but he has saved me a few times with hard to find parts.

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After work I stopped by an Autozone and the counter guy/gearhead gave me a pulley off a core alt (y) so I cleaned them up with wire wheels and painted them and when the outside temp cools down this evening Im going over to the car and start swappin, its 93° outside so guessing around
100° inside the garage where the car is, I also bought a belt that should fit while I was there, dont know how the pics got in the middle of the words? no

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BillK in answer to your question yes there's still a couple old school alt/starter shops around here 1 being Will's Starter Service but didn't need to go there...they charge $$ for parts like I got for free so they were at the end of my mental list lol, when I start the a/c project I might even stick with factory GM pulleys? the after market pulleys look nice but I'm OK with black painted pulleys (y) 🍻:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts