Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got burnt a few years ago on a '59 El Camino I bought out of Miami. The seller claimed it was a "Daily Driver: blah blah blah. He himhawwed around for a few weeks before I could nail him down to meet the shipper and send it. When she finally arrived, there was: no glass in the doors, late model buckets (not bolted in) no Air cleaner, shipper asked if I had a screw driver to start it!, weak ign switch, al four headlights pointed in four different direction, missing lug nuts, some due to broken studs, dry rotted tires, no latches or hinges to the tailgate held in with bungy cords. a few boxes of miscellaneous parts and trim, and a goofy assed " bubble built into the bed- like a HUGE smugglers box! I tried contacting him a few times to get parts he said were coming, and finally he just disappeared. If I ever get to Miami again......well At least the car is rust free and does run and drive. Its a I6 for now, but will be a modern LS engine/ trans and hopefully I'll sneak on a turbo

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
But the '59's are very cool! If I didn't own a '67 I would have wanted an '59.... Sorry about getting burnt; it would have been a cool car.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'd get the chinese ebay arms but change the ball joints before you put them in. The arms are fine, but the ball joints are junk. I used the ebay ones that look like the old global west arms in my 6cyl 4 door Chevelle. I think they are the same part actually just with a lower spec joint . The upper ball joints were loose and clunking after 500 miles, but the arms themselves are well made. I've actually run the arms hard, including high speed autocross on a bumpy track with 275s on the front. If they were going to fail, they would have by now.

·
Registered
197 Posts
But the '59's are very cool! If I didn't own a '67 I would have wanted an '59.... Sorry about getting burnt; it would have been a cool car.
It is kinda cool for now, but it Will be Very Cool One day!
Do you get out to Pyramid lake chasing Cutthroats very often?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Sometimes, I try to go fishing as much as I can but I only seem to make it a few times a year to Pyramid.

·
Gold Founding Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I decided to go with the stock stamped arms. I got all 4 in a kit from Ground Up. I guess I decided since my goal is simplicity, there is nothing simpler than the stock set up.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I decided to go with the stock stamped arms. I got all 4 in a kit from Ground Up. I guess I decided since my goal is simplicity, there is nothing simpler than the stock set up.
I have some stock uppers and disc spindles I would part with and save you some cash. I could also get you some lowers, PM me, if interested .

·
Gold Founding Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the kind offer, but I already ordered and received the new control arms. Now if I can just get a break from this heat to install them!

·
Gold Founding Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
So I finally got some work done on my "unmolested, rust free eBay camino. The floors are now replaced. At least I feel like I have a solid foundation to start from now. Next up is to rebuild the front suspension. I have all the parts piled up ready to go. here are pics of the floor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
You are doing a nice job. Seeing the rust that you have to deal with, given that it was a rubber floor covering originally (major rust promoter) it isn't so bad. I recall a member posted here back in 2006 concerning a similar base level '72 El Camino with a six from Arizona. That one was simply shocking in the amount of rust and the obscure places the rust occurred. Being an Arizona vehicle, one did not expect it, at least not to that extent. It was almost as though the vehicle has spent time submerged in the ocean. The A-pillars were rusted through, the roof & window channels, the forward end of the box...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Your example is why I don't trust anyone. Wife hates that trait, but it is what it is.

It'll be a nice ride when you finish up. Great work on the floor pan. Looks good :thumbsup:

I bought a rust free '65, and was able to look at it. I never had plans for a quality restoration, and just figured I could fix everything and build a hot rod. It bugs me once in a while when I discover a new bubble group in the paint or do something like replace the heater core and my knuckle goes through the paper thin rusted firewall around the bottom of the heater box while tightening up a bolt. Can't wait to find what's under the carpet when I get around to pulling the seats out.

Open wallet, pour out contents, refill, repeat.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Nice job on the pans. I just took delivery of a '67 from Tucsan that was a Fleabay special. To be honest, I was scared to look too close so I stuck it in a garage for a couple days until I was in a really good mood. I have to say it's okay... It has a the typical desert burned interior which is easy to deal with. I just had visions of what you got dealt and me going postal, but luckily not today...I'm gonna start my own build thread at some point, you look like you're on a good path with yours.

·
Gold Founding Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I am hoping to replace all the front suspension pieces over the Thanksgiving break. I can tell my "unmolested" car has collapsed springs with twist in spacers. After that the only deviation I am going to make from stock is to replace the saginaw three speed with a Muncie 4 spd. I have laying around. I'll graft in the correct hump and use the correct hardware for a factory appearance.

Attachments

Reactions: Schwany

·
5,855 Posts
You are doing a nice job. Seeing the rust that you have to deal with, given that it was a rubber floor covering originally (major rust promoter) it isn't so bad. I recall a member posted here back in 2006 concerning a similar base level '72 El Camino with a six from Arizona. That one was simply shocking in the amount of rust and the obscure places the rust occurred. Being an Arizona vehicle, one did not expect it, at least not to that extent. It was almost as though the vehicle has spent time submerged in the ocean. The A-pillars were rusted through, the roof & window channels, the forward end of the box...
Holy smokes! That car has some serious cancer in it.

·
5,855 Posts
Thanks guys. I am hoping to replace all the front suspension pieces over the Thanksgiving break. I can tell my "unmolested" car has collapsed springs with twist in spacers. After that the only deviation I am going to make from stock is to replace the saginaw three speed with a Muncie 4 spd. I have laying around. I'll graft in the correct hump and use the correct hardware for a factory appearance.
Inline six with a 4spd? That's kinda cool, Jon.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Jon
looking at that new floor you installed & I'd have a hard time put a rug in that elcamino. looks really good, keep up the good work.
hmardown

·
Gold Founding Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Gold Founding Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Jon
looking at that new floor you installed & I'd have a hard time put a rug in that elcamino. looks really good, keep up the good work.
hmardown
Thanks, I feel the same way, but knowing that what's under the carpet is solid will make it worth it.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts