Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's absolutely no way I'll pay $35 or more for a harmonic damper installation tool! It's ridiculous for a stock type damper.

Just thought I'd tell you about mine. I spent $5 for a piece of all-thread rod to screw into the crank snout. And maybe another 75 cents for a couple of washers and a nut.

Just grease up the all thread real good so the nut doesn't bind up, and press that baby on. It gets a little tough toward the end, but take it nice and easy and save yourself a few bucks.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 2-19-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,713 Posts
That's what I did too, only I used the threaded rod of a gear puller I had that fit the BB crank. Works great.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
I was going to do the same thing Chad did, just a couple of days ago, but a friend of mine that was here at the time talked me into useing his new tool that he just got from Summit($49).After the bal. was about half on, the tool broke off in my crank.Had to drill it out without messing the threads up. what a pain.

[This message has been edited by CFR (edited 03-17-2002).]

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was regular grade and it worked fine.

It depends on just how tight your damper is.

Stock should work fine with this homemade tool.

If it's a performance damper with the undersize required for racing, I'd spend the money on a good installation tool.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 2-19-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just use a machine grade threaded rod and I used moly lube (left over cam lube) to lube the threads. Have used it several times and the threads are still good.

·
Registered
14,123 Posts
How do you stop the crank from spinning?

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
How do you stop the crank from spinning?
I have used a long bolt in place of one of the pressure plate bolts in the flywheel.

The crank will turn until the bolt hits the bottom of the block near the starter-- (starter off)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.