Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 86 GMC High Serria 2500 with a 6.2 L diesel and 4 speed manual (granny low) trans to use for towing my trailered 67 El Camino (~4700 lbs). I'm wondering if this engine is a good choice for towing. I don't know anything about diesels but I think this is a true diesel, not a conversion. Any known problems or issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help,

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street ([email protected], 1.75 60')
Pat's Page (CR Calculator, Utilites, car specs)

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Yeah,
Good for towing to the wrecking yard. Then leave it there !!!
The heads crack all the time. Very hard to find a good set that's not cracked.

Nate

·
Registered
173 Posts
Diesel engines are great for towing they put out a lot of torq, and they can do it all day long. However the engine you are talking about is NOT the diesel you want.

First look for a cummins, second look for a Ford powerstroke 7.3 litre. Both of these engines are very reliable. They can pull a house and get decent mileage..........bk

[This message has been edited by driverk (edited 12-26-2001).]

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I had the same truck except i had a overdrive standard .Had a tough time starting out with trailer on . I would think wth the granny gear It would be good for towing. I never had any real problems with except the starter . Got great mileage I couldn`t say enough good about mine MIKE

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to pass on this truck. I don't need the 4WD and the price is higher than high Blue Book (although, it is an exceptionally nice truck). I did some research and the 6.2 diesel engine seems to be rather weak, particularly so considering the weight of the truck plus the trailer and car.

Thanks for the input, and Happy New Year!

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street ([email protected], 1.75 60')
Pat's Page (CR Calculator, Utilites, car specs)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.