Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been helping a friend with his new toy. Not a Chevrolet body but it does have a Merlin 565ci. engine in it, so that's a plus.
What I need to know is, is 36 degrees timing too much for a 15:1 Alum. headed 565. This car is fairly quick, running mid 5.70 on motor @ 3200lbs.,with a 10"slick. The 60's are in the 1.23-24 range every pass. He leaves the line at 4200rpms. and shifts at 7000. I have several video's of it hazing the tires at around 40', usually just as the front end touches the ground.After I convenced him to raise the wheelie bars last Sat. night, it carried the tires to 60' and ran a 5.62 @ 124mph. It hazed the tires on that pass too, when the front end sat down.
I was told last Sat. that he would burn the engine up running that much timing, and we should back it down to 32 degrees.
This is a car that has been high 4's on spray and he drove 800 miles to get it. He really wants to do what's best, that's why I'm asking.
Also, I am sorry I do not know the cam specs., but it is a Nitrous grind. He runs 114 or 116 octane on motor.

Thank you. Eric.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Short answer is no, that may not be too much timing, but there are a variables. My Brodix-3's want 38* of timing which is not uncommon for conventional heads. What heads are on your friends engine?

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Lately I have been helping a friend with his new toy. Not a Chevrolet body but it does have a Merlin 565ci. engine in it, so that's a plus.
What I need to know is, is 36 degrees timing too much for a 15:1 Alum. headed 565. This car is fairly quick, running mid 5.70 on motor @ 3200lbs.,with a 10"slick. The 60's are in the 1.23-24 range every pass. He leaves the line at 4200rpms. and shifts at 7000. I have several video's of it hazing the tires at around 40', usually just as the front end touches the ground.After I convenced him to raise the wheelie bars last Sat. night, it carried the tires to 60' and ran a 5.62 @ 124mph. It hazed the tires on that pass too, when the front end sat down.
I was told last Sat. that he would burn the engine up running that much timing, and we should back it down to 32 degrees.
This is a car that has been high 4's on spray and he drove 800 miles to get it. He really wants to do what's best, that's why I'm asking.
Also, I am sorry I do not know the cam specs., but it is a Nitrous grind. He runs 114 or 116 octane on motor.

Thank you. Eric.
Eric, Hard to say

Back it down 2 degrees at a time, see if it gets faster. When it drops off go back up 1 degree at a time

You can also do this going up too but i wouldnt bump it up but one time (2 degrees)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Short answer is no, that may not be too much timing, but there are a variables. My Brodix-3's want 38* of timing which is not uncommon for conventional heads. What heads are on your friends engine?
Dart Pro Ones.
Other stuff is, Callies Crank, Carrilo Rods, JE Pistons, Dart Intake, AED Carb, and Crank Trigger ignition with a MSD 7.
One other thing, the spark plugs are non projected tip with cut back electrodes. Should he not use the same type plug without the cut strap while tuning the car for motor only passes. He plans on running spray eventually, but for now we would like to see how fast it will run on nuts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric, Hard to say

Back it down 2 degrees at a time, see if it gets faster. When it drops off go back up 1 degree at a time

You can also do this going up too but i wouldnt bump it up but one time (2 degrees)
Butch, I said the same thing, about dropping the timing,but with limited time and not knowing anything about a crank trigger ignition, at the time, we were kinda scared to screw with it. I called another friend and asked him about the crank trigger and now I'm kinda ok, with it. We'll try it, maybe today if the weather holds off.
Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts