Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally able to play this game!
Built this motor 3 yrs ago and then had a freezing problem and broke the block! Never really got it to run right, so I took it to a pro to assemble it this time and then dyno it. Dynoed it Saturday and found out what was wrong, the carb I bought used but "in great shape" had been "converted" to run on e85 by an "expert" and was pig rich! No wonder I couldn't get it to run!

So anyway. 555 BBC with 325 AFR heads, Dart intake and a 900 cfm "dyno" carb, custom Staub solid roller (722/705 lift, 253/263 @ .050, 107 lobe step.), 10.3:1 compression, everything else your basic build. Nothing fancy in the oiling system or anywhere else. Ran 2 1/4" headers on the dyno for the O2 sensors. I have 2" for my Camaro.

Guesses on the HP? Chris came through again and it made more than I had asked for!

Post the dyno sheet tomorrow and see what everyone thinks.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Well north of 700

Question:

Was the cam specified for this engine combo (with the AFR heads)?

I ask because I've read so many discussions on this board where the AFR heads don't need much if any split favoring the exhaust side. Your cam "Staub solid roller (722/705 lift, 253/263 @ .050, 107 lobe step.)" has a 10 degree split; seams more like a split that the discussions point to being needed with ported stock or other aftermarket heads.

Not trying to be controversial, just looking to expand my limited knowledge.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I`d say about 815 HP with that carb. A Holley 1150 HP would add a few more.

We have a similar motor but we use a single pattern cam UDHarold Hyd roller with wider lobes and less lift.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so here are the dyno sheets I promised. Made 12 pulls and this is last of them. All were on 91 octane pump gas and I am very pleased with the results! Could always make more power, but this makes so much power downstairs that it should be fun trying to make it hook! And I won't have to spin it hard so it should last a long time! (I hope)

Let me know what you guys think, as many of you are way more experienced in this than myself. (actually my first dyno run ever!)

BTW I had asked Chris for 750 steetable HP, I guess he came through again! :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Congratulations:thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well north of 700

Question:

Was the cam specified for this engine combo (with the AFR heads)?

I ask because I've read so many discussions on this board where the AFR heads don't need much if any split favoring the exhaust side. Your cam "Staub solid roller (722/705 lift, 253/263 @ .050, 107 lobe step.)" has a 10 degree split; seams more like a split that the discussions point to being needed with ported stock or other aftermarket heads.

Not trying to be controversial, just looking to expand my limited knowledge.
Yes the cam was spec'ed for the AFR heads. Guess that's a question for Chris.

·
Registered
516 Posts
nice results. tire shreader for sure

1 - 20 of 35 Posts