Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I thought I’d share my dyno results of my 540 turbo build. Anyone interested in more details go check out my build thread or just ask.

anyways... so drove my car 2hrs1 way to go see my buddy with the dirty drag week dart. Once there we converted over tires and strapped it down.

first run 750rwhp....

after that we changed wastegate and some timing, and made 5 more pulls

6th pull was 856rwhp 5400rpm and 988rwtrq @ 4200rpm.

please keep in mind that is on pump gas, 91 octane and 10.5-11psi boost. Egt temps were a cool 1450-1500 on average. This was the spread, personally with a dual plane I thought it would be more.

motor details:

540 short bloc
Zz502 camshaft
Afr 305 heads (2005 production)
Brodix dual plane intake
Super sniper 4150
Full intake and exhaust, most turbo guys remove it

needles to say I am happy with the results. We drove there and drove back home. The short block and engine assembly was completed by myself as well all the fab work involved. Some improvements noted are phasing of the distributor, we noticed there could be some spark scatter going on. Need to change plug heat range, definitely at the peak with a NGK 5 heat range for this power. On 1 pass we noticed a funky reading, were suspecting it was spark related or clutch slippage. Adding another 1-1.5degree timing and 1psi we figure will yield another 50rwhp.

Based on all the data and calcs we figure there is a 10-10.5% driveline loss if you want to figure out crank power. T56 mag, aluminum driveshaft, and Dana 60.

any guess what it’ll run in the 1/4 or 1/8?

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
what does the car weigh with you in it ?? 4100#ish??
i would expect abit higher driveline loss% = more like 15-18%??

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what does the car weigh with you in it ?? 4100#ish??
i would expect abit higher driveline loss% = more like 15-18%??
Yea 4100lbs, full street trim obviously

yea based on fuel flow, VE, some calculators, past experiences runs, and the old 15psi dummy formula we figure 10ish. mayby as high as 13ish but I cant see anymore than that.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Would not a single plane intake be a better choice with a combo like this? I have never run a turbo combo before so maybe I am wrong on this. Just my thinking.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Nice car and result! It's going to be a handful for sure going down the track! Nice to hear the super Snipers working for ya.
I have it as well with a lil 350 tpi long block and twin 70mm's and it works very well.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Got to love a turbo big block and a manual! Very well done street car you have as well. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
All I can say is WOW! and all that under a flat Malibu hood is Very impressive (y) (y)🍻

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
single plane in terms of power production, small possible. Given the rpm range I doubt it honestly. I had a super victor on at the start it was horrible to drive around. In terms of fuel distribution the EGT’s were telling me it was really good.

turbo lag is somewhat relative to what your doing. On the dyno it took 0.25-0.5 sec to reach full boost Says the data log. On the streetor track it starts building boost around 2500, at 3-3500 it’s all in... if you have traction.

the dyno runs were completed at a higher rpm than I wanted, this was really an an after though on my part. The power band is just as wide as a zz502 would be.

now what to do in the winter to teach my 1000whp goal on pump!

·
Registered
123 Posts
now what to do in the winter to teach my 1000whp goal on pump!
AEM or Snow water meth kit.

We just did a 93 fox body 331 stroker with 76/75 pt. Same super sniper 1250 setup. Goal is 1000whp on pump gas. We added the AEM meth kit from the beginning to make the combo safe enough to get there on pump. We used 2 of the biggest nozzles AEM makes. Cools intake charge and adds octane. Keep your pump gas. Make 1000whp.

Also very nice combo and power! That torque vs hp is indicative of an intake restriction but if its great to drive on the street keep it. I love dual plane drivability for the street.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
"turbo lag is somewhat relative to what your doing. On the dyno it took 0.25-0.5 sec to reach full boost Says the data log. On the street or track it starts building boost around 2500, at 3-3500 it’s all in... if you have traction. "

That's why I ask. Street or track, I was in search of ways to tame the power surge on a NA 540". We delayed timing, tried a vac secondary carb, didn't really matter. If anything, at the track it was worse having the power come in progressively as the suspension settled down. I can't imagine how a turbo would feel spooling up on a big inch motor.

·
Registered
Ryan
584 Posts
One bad mamma-jamma

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
856 RWHP @ 5400 ?
Say WHAAAAAT ??! lol
BEAST !!
Whats that 1100 at the crank ?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Do you have a falling boost curve? How’s the exhaust back pressure relative to boost?
no boost is consistent and has a flat curve. I have not measured backspreasure but I’d speculate it’s at 1.5:1 ratio. It is on my list of this to check.

power doesn’t really dip as hard as the dyno graph shows. We ran the motor out to 6300rpm and it just slowly tapers off. Basically once I hit 5500 on the dyno we just let out of it, no need to keep going if your not making power

1 - 20 of 22 Posts