Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
complete zz502, 6200, blower1500,carbs 500 install and tune etc. 1000, total cost close to $10,000
bet on it. damn what ya need that for??? heck just a few mods to the 502 will net ya over 600hp, and everything in it is forged, so you could run a 250 shot of juice. total cost around $7000.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(oo|ss|oo)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Chev-hell is right on the $$$, and I think that blower would look GOOD sticking up out of the hood on a 69. You'd be pushing around 650+ very streetable horsepower. Hope you do it!

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the great information.

It looks like big al's has reasonable pricing...blown 454's ready to go.

My other option is using my current block, 396, and replace components for a blower application. I would have to replace pistons, rods, and cam.

If I decide to use my existing block and just change the parts, it would save me some money, I think.

An engine builder suggested that I should go with a new 502 crate motor instead of using my current block. Why? In his opinion, the block (396) is an old block and that I should go with a new generation block. Is this true? Should I go with a new block or should I try to use my current block?

I only have 4000 miles since its rebuilt.

Would the cylider wall be too thin to run a blower application?

Why am I doing this? Got extra money to burn and most will be for show, but it's nice to have a "little" more power

By the way, I will probably go with a 8-71 instead of the 6-71 blower. It might be the BDS, fully polished...yum.

To start, I will go with out a hood, until I find a good fiberglass shop to cut a fiberglass hood. I will save my original hood in storage.

I should get an estimate on pricing, rebuilding the 396 block. Again, should I use the 396? It should save some money. I figure, if I blow the motor, I can always buy a new 454 or 502. This way, I don't waste money since the current block is still good, I think.

Thanks for any additional information!

------------------

69 SS Chevelle

396 engine

My car on the cover of Super Chevy Magazine

1 meg video of my Chevelle warming up

·
Registered
6 Posts
howzit Tonyr!IMHO,run what you got.with that awesome blower for all to see,no one will care if it's 396/502.a blown/big-block!polished too!nuff said.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
howzit again,Tonyr!visited your magazine shot-congrats!you're the envy of millions of us car guys worldwide-on the cover of a magazine!good job!if your 396 is as cherry as the rest of your chevelle,it'll hold up.drop your compression to 8:1 or less,all-forged bottom-end,underdrive that blower 12%(i'm presuming;ask the pros),etc,motor should live long.BTW,be careful on that long 2-lane highway to Kihei,Maui&Lahaina-lotsa head-on accidents.be safe,myron's in 5-7heaven.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.