Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Hey man,
I am doing the 502 Ramjet in my 70. I want to make a big purchase from Summit tomarrow. I need to know what kind of radiator to use. And would a stock fuel tank with a sump kit work, or do you know any tank alternatives that would be under $500? Also what fuel line and fittings will I need? I am running disk breaks as well with a booster, what vacuum pump or assesories will I need? The serpintine belt assembly: which would you go with? Basically I am starting from scratch with the fuel components for the engine. What other things or information can you guys provide me with to get me rolling ASAP. I just dont want to make a order and find out I missed a bunch of stuff.
Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also what about a external fuel pump system. What would you guys recomend. I tried looking up the psi requirements for it, and all it says is that it recomends a in tank fuel pump.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Walbro makes a pump to go in the tank. It would probably be less noisy than an external pump. As far as the belt set up that could get pricy unless you get one off a big block suburban or something.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
My recommendation is to run an in-tank surge tank, what the OEMs these days call a fuel pump module. Search for MU-2021 for some pictures of how I built one of these into my El Camino tank. I ran a second 3/8" steel hard line down the frame for my high pressure fuel feed. I pulled the original line out to use as a pattern and bent it up myself.

With respect to vacuum and brakes... a regular ZZ502 crate should already have enough vacuum to run brakes. I would NEVER personally run a vacuum pump. Noisy little buggers from everything I have read/heard. Much better option: hydro-boost brakes using the power steering pump as a boost power source.

I am running one of the Summit Direct Fit aluminum radiators which are actually made by Northern. It fits ok. You will have to watch the clearance on the lower left side and probably modify the core support in that area. Possibly the core support to frame mount on that side as well.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone have or know of anyone running a Ramjet 502 in a chevelle or El Camino that could PM me or call me? I really want to get this project moving and have little clue on what to do for the fuel delivery setup.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Someone here runs one in their el camino but it escapes me at the moment.

Try a search for ramjet or 502 in engine or performance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm running a 350 ram jet with a mallory fuel pump {Mallory 4060FI }
using my stock fuel tank with a sump
my factory sending unit is now my return line and the sump going to the fuel pump and motor is 1/2" line also using a mallory fuel filter {Mallory 3160 }
also do not now on the 502 but on my 350 the stock oil pan would not fit.

by the time you buy a new tank,sump,fuel pump and fittings it my be just as easy to buy the tank from the partsplace also you will need to run a vent line
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106519&highlight=gas+tank+vent

you can try this tank http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-72-GM-CARS-FUEL-INJECTION-FUEL-TANK-COMPLETE-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ10076QQihZ013QQitemZ230218934975

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now what about putting A/C in with the 502? Any conciderations. Will there be enough room? Or any other things to concider with this engine setup with A/C?

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI Rich,

I have a Ram Jet 502 in my 72 P/U and it is a monster torque machine. I used the Front Runner system from Vintage Air on my motor. It fits like a glove and has NO belt slap what so ever at high RPM and comes with a Stewart reverse flow water pump with is great as the water now flows to the heads first for better cooling and no chance for detenation. Go on their website and they will have the measurements for that system as you will need to be sure that you will have enough clearance between it and your large radiator that you will to cool and calm the beast. I also used twin electric fans (thin units) with 2,500 CFM each with the 180 degree sender that comes with it. Be sure to put the sender in the intake and not the head as the intake will give you a more consistant temp reading. GM performance makes a intank fuel pump made for the 502, as it requires 45 to 65 PSI, you will need a high quality fuel filter (inline) to go with it. Street and Performance has a really nice chrone and steel braided fuel line set that mounts to the rear of the engine and exits to the passenger side with AN #6 fittings. You will need a very good pair of headers with at a minimum 2" primary tubes and 36" lentgh, I had mine custom built by Dan Lemmon from Lemmon's Headers in Paso Robles he does unbelievable work. And you exhaust must be at least 2 1/2" minmum 3 is ideal. Take your time with the injection harness that comes with the motor and the install will come out clean and well hidden. That is all the big items I can think of right now as my beer is getting warm, see ya later!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.