Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a NICE car 1970 red SS with a slightly built 502 HO with a TH350. Is this enough trans to handle it??- I though maybe a TH400 at least or an M-22 4sp.
Also what would be a good street/strip compromise in the rear- it has a 3.31, but that may hurt me at the track, 4.10 may be too much.
Which stall-speed would be good for this application?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jarret,
I find it very odd that the car has a TH350 trans. This would have NEVER been the original trans for an SS. Yes it could be built to handle the horsepower, but I would want proof of the build up.
My car was not an original SS and it still has a TH350 trans, albeit a very well built TH350 to handle the torque I've got with my 502.
The trans is something that a performance build up might ignore, therefore, are you absolutely sure that the car was an SS to start with. I can't imagine anyone that had a TH400 in the car would replace it with a TH350. The driveshaft, kickdown line, vacuum line, and other things would have all had to be changed to perform that swap. So why would someone install a high performance engine and back it up with a low performance trans?

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS Clone 502-540HP-560ft-lb
1992 Trans Am Conv(4Sale)
1992 Taurus SHO
Please visit my homepage sswinger.home.att.net/
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Member #521, ACES #1994

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad- the guy said it had the stall from a TH350 (higher) but the trans is a TH400 unit, still sounds funny though- he still has the # matching 396 which may be a good build up to do for my kid bro's Nova.
I thought it was odd cause the 396 had to have a TH400 in it if it was a real SS

·
Registered
433 Posts
I know of some guys that run a TH350 over a 400 in their drag cars because the tranny leches less power than a TH400. It takes a fair amount to build it right, though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you buy it and get the numbers matching 396, keep it stored for the future. The car is worth a lot more $$$ with a numbers matching 396 engine. A lot of people are pulling their numbers matching engines and installing crate motors so they take the cars out and have fun without worrying about hurting a numbers matching motor.

My $.02

[This message has been edited by Bill T SS70 (edited 02-01-2000).]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point, Bill
It will cost a bit more, but worth it in the long run to have the motor- ideal.
Plus I can teach my kid bro about cars and rebuild it to spec at the same time

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Jarret
350's are easy to tell from a 400. The 350 has a rectangular pan that has one corner cut off (4 long sides, 1 short). The 400 pan is shaped very irregular. If you look at it from the right angle, & use your imagination, it is in the shape of Texas (well sort of).
rick

G

·
In a recent Hot Rod Magazine,there was this beutiful 70 SS convertible,502 w/200-R4!
I belive that this car was built for GM performance Parts,correct me if i am wrong.
So basicly you could use the 200,if properly built,and it´has a nice ratios also.

HR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.