Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welp,

Just struck a deal for a running '75 500 cadillac. I'm getting the '75 convertible eldorado it's in too. The guy let the top rot on the car, though the frame for the top is apparently still good. Car was driven to where it's parked a year or so ago. My plan is to yank the 500 and then part out the rest, or maybe sell it complete minus the engine if they're worth much of anything. I don't yet have a recipient for the 500, but I guess I'll start looking around. Bonus-the eldorado, and only the eldorado, came with the oil pan needed to put a cadillac in other gm rear drive cars.

I'd like to find a pontiac ventura or other '68-'74 gm x body to put it in. A buddy of mine has a pretty darn solid '79 camaro with no motor or trans I could probably get for $300, though it's in Alabama and would need to be towed up here to Iowa.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
The thought had crossed my mind once about putting one in a BOP g body.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,298 Posts
190 HP 360 TQ

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Pretty lame stock.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
they have good potential though;
weighs less than a bbc also

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plenty of potential, even mostly stock. That 190 was generated breathing through one pellet converter, the worst flowing converter of all time from what I've heard. With a decent exhaust and pretty much nothing else, those generally make closer to 300 hp according to one of the companies that sell parts for them, with the early high compression ones making about 20 hp more. (I can't remember exactly which company said that off the top of my head.) That sounds about right to me. A little huff of nitrous if needed should get one to stepping pretty quickly for a low budget stock engine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock, the later ones at least (like mine) make rated hp at 3600 rpm. 4200 is about as far as you want to go with the stock rocker setup. Once that's fixed (not terribly expensive) then you can go up some, until 5 or 6 grand, I forget which. Then you better replace the (cast) rods. Once you have good stuff in the bottom end, race engines turn in excess of 8 grand.

But without doing any of that, you can still have lots of fun with them because they make SO MUCH TORQUE.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another interesting thing about these-they're thin wall castings, but they must have found a way to control core shift. You can bore them .125" WITHOUT sonic testing, and without putting any concrete in the blocks. Folks concrete them and go to 4.5" and even bigger! Doing that with a race block is one thing; doing it with a stock block, and not just a one-in-a-million stock block, that was thinwall cast is really surprising to me. They're notoriously hard, apparently they have a ton of nickel in them. GM really did make cadillac engines out of better material back then. But in contrast, you have the laughable rocker arm setup...

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
I believe, you should go with an earlier timing chain, the cam is retarded for emissions. Trans will be a long tail TH400. Radiator may have the upper heater core hose coming out of it. It can be relocated, but the radiator is nice way to go if it's good.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Dude, find a VEGA to drop it in! Anyone remember that Hot Rod article!?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to look that article up. Zeke, this one is not a turbo 400, it's in an eldorado. It's a th-425. Though I do in fact have a cadillac long tail turbo 400 at the house in Alabama...

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Sorry, missed that part. My grandfather had a white on white '72 Eldo Biarritz. Loved that car. Closest I got was a '74 Sedan DeVille.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts