Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is kind of a sneak peak to the Coupe De"Velle". I thought this would be a lot easier than it was (don't we always). This should keep Randy off my back! ;) j/k bud!

It's a stock long block '76 500 with an Eddy intake (shaved the markings off) and homebuilt headers. I will probably throw a cam in it once I get it running again (I want to make sure it's not going to overheat or have any problems during cam break-in). Here are a few pictures....It's a fairly straight forward swap, although there are a few pains...

Overall shot (no headers in)....

Here is a shot of the passenger side header. I used Cadillac flanges off ebay and BB chevelle headers. I ended up cutting and re-routing the first two tubes. Shows how tight things can get.

Depending on what motor you get, you may have to run a remote mount oil filter like I did. This isn't a very good angle, but It's less than an inch from the swaybar.

A picture of my sophisticated motor mounts! The upper part is the Caddy mounts cut open with all the rubber torched out. The bottom in a piece of 1/4" angled steel. Kinda hard to see...Sorry

I'm not sure why everything looks rusty in the pictures? This weekend I will toss the drivers side header back in and show ground clearance and a few other things. Hopefully it will start to look like a whole car on Monday.

I owe a HUGE thanks to the dudes over at http://www.cowboyseven.us/forum/ as well as TC. Sharp fella's on both forums.

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brent. It's really the first time I have had to fabricate anything, so most of my money has been spent on tools to do the work, rather than parts. I'll just keep plugging away...It'll roar to life one day!

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your next project will be a Ford 9" and tubs to handle that TORQUE!!! What a good problem to have :)
You ain't kidding! I'm gonna see how long it will live with the 10 bolt on street tires. Got a 9" sitting behind the shop, but I just want to DRIVE the dang thing!

Looks great Jay!! Keep up the good work. I'm glad I know a fab guy now!
Haha I wouldn't call myself a fab guy. Just a "too damn cheap to pay someone else to do it" guy!

Thanks for the compliments!

· Registered
641 Posts
I have done a few caddy swaps, heres what I learned. Go to the junkyard and lift the hood on some later model caddys like the mid 80s - early 90s there are 3 different oil filter mounts they all point in different directions, this may help with the sway bar clearance problem. Eldorados have a rear sump oil pan that will clear a Chevelle frame, don't forget to get the oil pump pickup tube and the dipstick and tube from the Eldo. Get some stiffer valve springs as the stock ones are soft as marsh mellows and will limit rpm big time! Be prepared to break driveline parts with all that torque.

· Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Another Caddy guy!

My previous project was a 83 Grand Prix with a '70 472 in it. I kept the engine more or less stock and focused on getting it in and making it look like it belonged. Larry at CMD was a big help since there was really only a couple places supporting stuff back when I did it. Edelbrock was still working on an intake, and didn't have it released yet. I had it running through a TH400 (BOP bolt pattern) and out through a Mopar 8-3/4" rear that I found through trading times. It was already cut and welded to fit a G body and had 373 posi too. PST took care of the front suspension and Hotchkis out back with air bags in the coils. Still had a traction problem. Here's a pic:

· Premium Member
5,087 Posts
I really like to see swaps like this. This is how they used to do it in the old days. Didn't have to get a 2nd mortgage on the house to buy a good big motor.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted..

· Registered
926 Posts
Nice...and lighter than a BBC too. Welcome to torque city.

Someday you can add a roller cam, and maybe aluminum heads and embarrass guys with tons of money into their BBC's!

· Registered
2,071 Posts
I had a 472 in one of my Chevy pickups. I caught alot of people off guard with that one. When I blew that up, I put a 500 in it. The '70 472 ran one heck of alot better than the '75 500. I also put a 500 in my wifes Camaro, I took it back out because the motor plates were too tricky to fab around the front steer in the Camaro chassis, I thought. I think I can take that engine and trans set up off your hands, Gary. A friend of mine goes to Mo. alot. That would make my budget prostreet '74 pick up kinda fun. Let me know!

· Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have done a few caddy swaps, heres what I learned. Go to the junkyard and lift the hood on some later model caddys like the mid 80s - early 90s there are 3 different oil filter mounts they all point in different directions, this may help with the sway bar clearance problem. Eldorados have a rear sump oil pan that will clear a Chevelle frame, don't forget to get the oil pump pickup tube and the dipstick and tube from the Eldo. Get some stiffer valve springs as the stock ones are soft as marsh mellows and will limit rpm big time! Be prepared to break driveline parts with all that torque.
I got the remote mount for free from my brother, so I just went that route. You are right about the mounts though, just be sure to get the right gasket! I am also using the eldo pan...couldn't find any at the lame junkyards around here so I bought one of a board member. Driveline breakage is in the game plan!! ;)

Nice...and lighter than a BBC too. Welcome to torque city.

Someday you can add a roller cam, and maybe aluminum heads and embarrass guys with tons of money into their BBC's!
I almost bought a turbo for the thing off an old detroit diesel. Then I got some sense and realized I was too young to die.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.