Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m new here. I am building a 1970 Chevelle just me and my 14 year old son I’m adopting. He loves cars! I am wanting to put a 5 speed in it. I bought it just body. I have a 454 I am building 30 over any thoughts? Will a t5 out a 80’s or 90’s Camaro work or am I just asking for trouble. Limited budget

·
Super Moderator
12,634 Posts
I have a 454 I am building 30 over any thoughts? Will a t5 out a 80’s or 90’s Camaro work or am I just asking for trouble.

One of my customers put one of those transmissions behind a 455 Olds motor about 3 months ago even though I told him he was crazy. It lasted about three weeks :(

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
There are quite a few threads in the transmission and driveline forum on 5 speed/ overdrive transmissions. Just try a few searches under like or similar thread names.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Hi! I’m new here. I am building a 1970 Chevelle just me and my 14 year old son I’m adopting. He loves cars! I am wanting to put a 5 speed in it. I bought it just body. I have a 454 I am building 30 over any thoughts? Will a t5 out a 80’s or 90’s Camaro work or am I just asking for trouble. Limited budget
About 20 years ago I decided I wanted an overdrive transmission for one of my old cars. I went through a series of changes with different transmissions and differentials and finally did what I should have done in the first place, bought a TKO-600 and installed it. A pain to install but it does everything I ever wanted, has the gear ratios I wanted, shifts well and gives me no trouble. Everything before was a waste of money, time and effort.

A T5 will not survive behind your 454 and you probably will not like the gear ratios.

Bite the bullet, get a good transmission that will work and drive on. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Those Camaro T5s also had an angled boltup deal that turned the transmission 20 degrees or so for extra clearance. Kind of an oddball deal.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
I put an S10 T5 behind my 350 as step one in my stick shift conversion. It can be done and will drive fine, but it takes a specific set of parts, spacer, clutch disc, pressure plate, etc. You have to use the S10 four cylinder version because its the only one that has the shift lever far enough forward to fit a Chevelle. It will fit any normal chevy bellhousing, but requires a spacer because the input shaft is longer than a Muncie or such.

A Camaro unit, if you have the Camaro angled bellhousing, will fit, no spacer needed, but the shift lever will be back between the seats. Iirc they fit a normal Chevy clutch setup. But they are also very rare. They actually also fit a standard Chevy bellhousing, but the rear mount pad is angled to match the orignal angled bell. With the trans straight up, you have to create an angled shim for the mount. Do not try the v6 Camaro unit, they dont fit other Chevies easily, they have Ford bell pattern and the matching bell will not fit a big or small block engine, only the v6.

The max torque rating of any stock T5 is 335 ft lbs torque, and thats a Ford Cobra unit. You would easily exceed that with most small or big block chevies. They were iffy in 225 hp Mustangs, so I would not recommend trying one behind a big block.

I drove the S10 T5 for a few months in the 66. I hated the dump truck low gear ratio and the minimal .89 od ratio, and went TKO.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I went through a lot of work, effort and expense to put a TKO600 in my car. In the end it all works well as a combination, but if I were starting over I’d keep it a whole lot simpler and put on a Super T10 with the 2.88 first gear and 3.08 rear gears.

Devin

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the M20 Muncie in my 70 Chevelle and wanted to have less revs at highway speed so I purchased a TKO600 from Silver Sports. Yes, it did require that I modify the tunnel but it wasn't horrible. More of a tedious chore than difficult. The other part is that the Tremec transmissions require the bellhousing centering be within better standards than the Muncie. The cost ends up being close to $4K and includes a new driveshaft. The benefit is a very smooth transmission with gear ratios that are very much useable. My 12 bolt rear axle has a 3.31 ratio so 5th gear is a very relaxed cruising speed. Since I have a base Vortec Pro 467 ci engine, I opted for the Tremec but for those who end up with a bit more power, other transmissions may be better suited to handle that extra power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
another option for you to consider is 3.08 rear gears with a m23z from paul cangiolosi at 5speeds.com. it is not an overdrive, but first gear is low enough to still have fun and the 3.08 in fourth gear are pretty good for the highways. this is what we did for our '70 chevelle with a 454, and the cost was about $2,700 versus about $4,000 for the other options listed above. good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
another thought with a budget in mind, the NV3500 from a 90s Chev pu , stronger than the T5 but not 454 rated. Smooth easy good ratios and OD. Hydraulic clutch is biggest obstacle but available as kits thru catalogs , bellhousing made with transmission as well as shifter. Be sure to get upper stick with core, these are getting hard to find

Reactions: OLDED

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
another option for you to consider is 3.08 rear gears with a m23z from paul cangiolosi at 5speeds.com. it is not an overdrive, but first gear is low enough to still have fun and the 3.08 in fourth gear are pretty good for the highways...
About 15 years ago (wow, doesn't feel that long ago), there was a group purchase on this site for some slightly used Richmond (Doug Nash) Road Race 5-speeds... They aren't overdrive, but instead have a lower first gear on up to a 1:1 5th...

I needed a new rearend anyway, so I built a 12-bolt with 2.73 gears and a Eaton posi... It was GREAT. 3.04 first gear was decent (a little better launch than factory 3.73s), and the 2.73s were great on the highway. I also liked that the driveshaft speeds were kept down, unlike with overdrive.

Unlike the TKO, T56, 600, etc, it required no floor pan or tunnel mods, and bolted directly in place of my Muncie. Even the driveshaft worked, although I did need a new yoke for the trans. Used the stock cross-member, etc... I did need to change the clutch disc, because I had a 10-spline version (Muncies came with 10 or 26, and the Richmond used the 26 spline input...).

Richmond still makes and sells (IIRC) an OD 5-speed, not sure on the non-OD version. I haven't used one, but I'd consider one over the TKO, etc... If only for the tunnel modifications needed.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
another thought with a budget in mind, the NV3500 from a 90s Chev pu , stronger than the T5 but not 454 rated. Smooth easy good ratios and OD. Hydraulic clutch is biggest obstacle but available as kits thru catalogs , bellhousing made with transmission as well as shifter. Be sure to get upper stick with core, these are getting hard to find
The Chevrolet pickup 4-speed OD transmission was one that I tried.

The first to second gear drop is 45%. I had to wind up to almost 4000 RPM in first before shifting to second or the RPM would be too low. That is 4000 about every time I started out. I did not like it at all.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

The first to second gear drop is 45%. I had to wind up to almost 4000 RPM in first before shifting to second or the RPM would be too low. That is 4000 about every time I started out. I did not like it at all.
My '96 truck has a factory NV3500. 1st gear is basically a granny gear. I start in 2nd for everyday driving.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts

I have worked on a 3500 in something (?) that the spread was nice, with all 5 gears useable... I will research that a bit
It was used in a Dodge and a Jeep over the years

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a nv4500 with a chevy bellhousing if you're interested. I don't know how well it'll fit in a chevelle, but you will not break it. It came out from behind a 540 in a mud truck. Same transmission is in my dodge diesel dually. It handled the 920 ft/lbs my truck dynoed at just fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts