Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I was thinkings about putting a 5-speed (t-5, i guess?) from a mid 80's camaro/firebird in my '68 Chevelle. Are there any modifications involved in doing this? Anyone have any experience w/ these trannies? Its going behind a 402, but I won't ever have it at the strip. Do you think it will hold up? How low is the first gear on it (I have 4.10's)? How much is the overdrive? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Forget about the 80's Camaro/Firebird t-5's. It will explode behind your 502. They can maybe handle up to 300hp. Yuor 402 will crush it. Have you considered to Tremec 5spd. Either T 3550 or TKO. The 3550 from Fortes will bolt right up and can handle much more power. They are up to $2000.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wad, The T-5's got upgraded sometime in the late eighties and is known by the term world class. If the transmission is out of the car you can tell by the bearing below the input shaft. I have a friend that recently purchased a Tremec and he absolutely loves it but its expensive. I got my T-5 out of a Trans Am I am parting that I paid very little for. The trans is almost free which is the way I have to get parts. I'm not one that can afford $2000 on a trans. Even a world class wouldn't be bulletproof as they are only marginally better then the previous versions but with no drag racing I bet it would hold up for a little while. Start beating on it and forget it. Current issue of Car Craft has all dimensions and gear ratios for transmissions. Check it out. With 4.10's I doubt you would be using first gear much. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I would stay away from this trans and would go with an aftermarket trans that is much stronger. These factory trans just aren't made to handle much abuse. Personally I'm looking at a Jerico, Liberty or Richmond trans. Although there is something neat about having a Lenco!

later
J.J. Fig

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
70 Posts
JJJJJJJJunk!!!!!!
Stay away from mid 80's borg warner's. They updated the trans in the early 90's. While you could search the junkyards for a modern BW trans, it may be easier to buy a new one like the Richmond.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey SS396Camaro, which Car Craft is that in? What does the cover look like? I get car craft, but I must have overlooked it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Tedster, when they updated the BW 5-speeds in the early nineties, what should I look for? 90-92 v8 camaro, or 90-92 v6/v8 camaro, or all 90-present?? v6 camaros? I know some of the newer v6 camaros came with 5 speeds--are these the same ones? I would have all the problems associated with a t-56 conversion if I got a nineties tranny, wouldn't I? the different style clutch, electric speedometer, bellhousing, etc.?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I beleive that the same 5 speed transmission is shared between the Mustang and Camaro. It's difficult to use these transmissions because they do not have the correct speedo cable connection to work with the older system. Also, and I'm not positive about this, they have some computer connections that mount into these cars ECM. While not impossible, I know that it's difficult to adapt a newer factory Borg Warner into a classic and that it's easier to go with a brand new unit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wad, I'm pretty sure its Car Craft. I will check tonight and let you know Wednesday. Pretty informative. Covers all trannies and gives gear ratios, total lenght measurements and length to trans mount. I believe it included the aftermarket trans too but it does no good unless I tell you where I seen it. Tomorrow. If you have the money then no question go with the aftermarket, I try to come up with the other options as I don't have that kind of money. Everybody here is right as far as the aftermarket ones are stronger but they are definately much more expensive and not a whole lot more easier to install in the end unless you buy everything you need to go with it $$$$$. But going to the 90's or so ones Tedster is talking about you take the chance of having to do this again. But you stated no strip action so I wouldn't be scared.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The T5 has an angled front bolting pattern. Using the Camaro bell housing requires a hyd. clutch except in the 83 year. The T5 was upgraded in 88 (?) to a world class roller bearing gear tranny but then uses an electric speedo connection. A couple inches longer than the four speed. A doable swap, but not a bolt in for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tom3, I have one of those bellhousings with the twisted bolt pattern. Are you telling me that those are 83 only? Its setup for conventional clutch linkage and still has the fork attached. Maybe I should hold on to this if thats the case. Could the rear extension housing be switched on the electric speedo trans to use the older cable style extension housing?

·
Registered
335 Posts
IF this is the 83 bellhousing, and it sure sounds like it, this is a rare deal. The 82 used a four speed and the 83 was the changeover year. The 84 used hyd clutch. Is possible to use a Lakewood steel housing, but the stock one is much lighter and simpler to use with no alignment concerns. Don't really know about the speedo deal on the tail housing, but I doubt if the tail shaft will accept the inner gear for the cable drive. Again, not real sure about that. I'd keep that bell housing hanging on the wall, myself. tom

·
Registered
501 Posts
Chevy never used a T5 in anything over 305 cid because they will not handle the torque of a 350 or larger engine. Did you ever see a Iroc or Z28 with a 350 5spd from the factory? The 5spd tranny that will be OK is the one from the S10 4.3 V6 or the CK 1500. I have a 92 GMC truck with a 350 5 spd and I tow with it all the time, I would like to find another trans like it for one of my cars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tom, Thanks for the info. Its hanging on the shed wall, now probably worthy of moving into the house or garage if thats the case. Ken, never heard of doing that. Whats the physical size of it compared to a passenger car one?

·
Registered
501 Posts
The truck trans is beefier but I guess I never thought about the size compared to a T5. I think the trans is a Gertag, the shifer is on the top. I could measure the trans but I don't have a T5 to compare it to. I have a friend who has a kit to convert a S10 to a V8 and the truck trans is the one they recomend for the conversion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.