Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have 880 roller block and cam installed with 305 heads, yes I know it came that way with the heads it does run good but want to get more HP out of it by upgrading top end, looking for head suggestions without breaking bank, had edelbrock performer rpm intake, edelbrock 1406 carb msd distributor, could I add vortex heads to bump up hp stout too much work, willing to change cam too do not currently know what cam is in it? open to edelbrock aluminum heads as well, looking for list of parts I would need and what benefits, looking to gather parts for April to June project

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I'd go with the Vortec heads. It might be worth figuring out all of the associated costs with either set of heads before making a decision.

If you want to change the cam look into either a ZZ4 or GM hot cam. You can probably find one used at a reasonable price.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Steve R

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
John,
The problem with switching to the Edelbrock or Vortec heads is that you are going to lose a lot of compression compared to the 305 heads. The engine probably has pistons that are made to use with the 305 heads which have a much smaller combustion chamber.

Unless you are going to change pistons also you will probably lose power with the other heads.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I love 305 heads I will get that out of the way.
But only when they are worked over correctly.
You can really kill the combo with some stock 305 heads. I seen many guys stick on stockers and end up pulling a bunch of timing out to make it not ping.
Airflow trumps compression. I will go and say chamber shape also trumps compression.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
How about the aluminium corvette heads from the 90's? Weren't the traditional intake and 58cc chambers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts