Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 65 chevlle with a 12 bolt posi and 5.57 gears and am wondering if
it is a 4 series carrier what is the highest (lower numerically) gear i can run in this carrier no i dont have the casting #'s right now and it's in storage
thanx

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had 5.14 gear on a series 4 when I bought the car. Changed to 3.73 gear. It works good but the ring gear looks real thin.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Geez, those ARE some steep gears! I think the lowest numerical gear ratio available for a 4 series carrier is the 3.73.

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Dental Gas' Inhaling Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had a 64 with the "punkin" type diff. with a 3;73 and had to use a spacer to get to 4;11 so I'd guess you're restricted to a 4;11 unless you can find a special thin ring gear. Could be wrong, only messed with this one in that regard. tom

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
actually I think 3:90 is the highest gear for the 4 series carrier, 3:73 would be a 3 series..

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

W

·
0 Posts
5.57 is not steep Wes, try a 6:14! Had one in the SS/IA camaro, 8500 in the lights with stock rods. Every now and then it would cut one loose, many bags of oil dry!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
738 Posts
Drptop70: I use an Auburn Pro 4 series carrier and the lowest numerical gear available (thru Jeg's and Summit - Richmond gears) is the 3.73 ratio. I am SOL if I want to go any lower with a four series - 3.73 is the limit for my set-up and I 'think' is also the limit for most other 4 series posi's.

Wally: What does that sound like when it grenades at 8,500 rpm's!

------------------
Chevellz Alwayz!

W

·
0 Posts
Wes, the funny thing is it gets quite! All that header noise then some clanking then quite. All you hear is the tires and the gear noise.

Did a couple, both in the big end at full tilt. The second sprayed the tires, got a little interesting stopping.

The low pressure oil light comes on after it blows, HELLO!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wally, in a strange, sick sort of way, I too would like to experience that moment in my Chevelle. I just don't want to pay for the fragged motor! Hmmm...maybe I could find a donor, hehe.

------------------
Chevellz Alwayz!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.