Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock muncie trans in my 69. Im not sure which weight of fluid to use. I went to the auto parts store and they only sell one type. (I can't recall which type). Does any one know what type of fluid to use and where to get it?
waive

·
Registered
339 Posts
Waive; These transmissions need the correct lube to shift correctly, especially when cold. Best is synthetic such as Red Line MTL or Amsoil syn. Check out web sites www.redlineoil.com or www.amsoil.com. Note that most parts stores these days carry only GL5 oil that is too slick for the older syncros. Up in the mid to late 70s the trannys were modified to use the later oils. Check owners manual to be sure, but I believe it will say to use GL4 oil and that is getting hard to find. tom

·
Super Moderator
1,833 Posts
Any 80w/90 gear oil will do. Any auto parts store will have this type of gear oil. Some people get fancy about the newer types of oils verses the older types but I have used generic gear oils without any shifting problems for over 15 years in muncies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys the only type I could find in the autoparts stores was valvoline 80w90 GL-5,GL-4. does this sound safe to use. Im not doing in powershifting or powerslames, just cruzin around.
thanks waive

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
waive,
Bob is right, the 80W90 (same lubricant for your rear end)is what you want. Period. And, DO NOT, DO NOT, put any positrac additive in your tranny. I mention this because I have heard unknowledgeable people tell even less knowledgeable people that since it is good for posi rears it is also good for 4sp trannys. NOT SO. The posi additive (that you buy from Chev parts dept) is for the purpose of allowing the posi clutches to slip when they need to slip. In a manual tranny, you do not want the "clutch" (brass syncro rings) to slip, they need to grip.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 02-19-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.