Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has offered me a free 4L80E. Only problem is that it's out of a 4WD Suburban. Can I use it in place of my current turbo 400? do I have to change the main shaft along with the tail housing? Can I use a mechanical speedometer with the 4L80E? Any technical input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well the good news is that the 4l80E is a good transmission that can handle a lot of power and torque. However you need to get a stand alone computer and harness which can cost a pretty penny. To answer your concerns about the tail housing, I can't really help you there. How bout ya give a trans shop or JET performance a call about it?

later
J.J. Fig

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
313 Posts
One of the hotrod mags did a trans swap issue over the summer with all the details. Let me know if you have a fax and I'll send you a copy. If you don't, let me know that too and I'll see if I can summarize the info here.
jmw

·
Registered
702 Posts
Jimmy,
January 2000 issue of CHEVY HIGH PERFORMANCE magazine has an article in it about swapping trans from guides to 4L80Es and manual transmissions as well. It is a good article and should answer a lot of your questions. The Jan. 2000 issue should still be on the news stand or book stores.
The # is 1-800-800-2438

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project "Street Bruiser"
H-D Ultra Classic E-Glide
I live to own toyz...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well GM offers a kit but it just means that you use a stand alone computer that only controls the tranny. It is impossible to run the 4L80E without a computer, everything in this trans is controlled by electric solenoids in one shape or form. Believe me I spent enough time under a delivery van at work playing with one of these and if you don't have the electronics right it will not work!!!

later
J.J. Fig

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.