Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with a 96 4L60E. It will not shift into third. It seems to be in "limp home" mode. It is throwing a trouble code for "manufacturer's control." I have double checked all the electrical conections, and replaced the neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch goes around the shift detent and has two large connections on it. I cannot resolve the code, or get the tranny into third. The transmission is a remaned unit, but the reman company is closed until Monday, and the owner is stuck here at my house an hour and a half from home.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
on 96 models there is an updated wire that should be installed at the computer.you need to look up GM tech bulletin on that. the part that you call neutral saftey switch is MLP manual lever position sensor.it let the computer know what gear you are in.it has to be set correctly.there are 2 line that should line up in neutral position. that code you have doesn't make sense.did you get a # on the code.if you disconnect the harness that goes into the trans the truck should take off in 3rd gear. if it doesn't and is still in 2nd there is probably an internal problem with that trans. what was wrong with the unit you replaced?also is there anyone by you with a scannner that will tell you code #s.. greg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P1864 is the code number. What two lines are you talking about that need to line up in neutral? Will it start in neutral if the manual level position sensor isn't in the correct position?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
p1864 is the Torque converter clutch circuit

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
1864 is the torque conv. clutch circuit. i would drop the pan .look up near the front of the trans.there is 1 solenoid that goes up into the punp stator.it has 2 10mm bolts that holds it to the case.make sure the wires did not get pinched. you should first up plug the harness going into trans and make sure none of the pins are bent over in the case connector.if everything looks good then drop the pan and check out that solenoid.all the other solenoids are held in with a clip. get a mirror and inspect those pins.the are small and can easily get bent. hope this helps.. greg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TCC is what I was just thinking too. Thanks for y'alls help. I did find the two lines on the manual lever position switch, if those are the right two lines. I pulled the MLP back off and saw the two line. I have those lined up in neutral, and then went back to start the truck up in neutral and it wouldn't start in neutral. I put it in park, fired right up and shifted through the gears, it seems to go into each gear from on the shifter, and indicate the gears correctly and all. I'll pull the pan tomorrow and probably just replace the harness along with the TCC seloniod, as the harness and seloniod in the transmission we just took out is still good, it was all replaced not too long ago.
To let you know what is wrong with the transmission that was pulled out, the case is worn out causing fluid pressure problems. Everything, and I mean everything else in that transmission has been replaced, and it still would burn the band. Every shop I talked to said with everything that had been replaced the only thing left was the case, and it wasn't unheard of for a 4L60E to wear out the case. So, bought a remanufactured transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts