Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Members or non members using the new GM 4L60 Trans., or maybe you own a GM with the 4L60 E. As stated before, we have a B & M Unimatic Cable Shifter to install on this trans. We don't have a center console and don't want a center console on our '69 Elke frameoff resto project, therefore, we may be limited as to our options. If you installed this trans. in your Chevelle-etc., let us know what type/brand of shifter you went with.

We went to MOON in the LA area this past Thursday, and the LOKAR brand of shifter sure seems to be a great product, however, they aren't positive that their 700R4 shifter will work on the 4L60 (actually they haven't had an occassion/situation to try it yet).

As always, any info greatly appreciated.

Richard and Judy White, MAXX2
Member #341

------------------

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have a B&M Hammer in my 67 Elcamino with a 4L60 tranny. Works Great
Some people don't like them, but if you follow the instructions carefully when doing your adjustments, then you'll be fine. This is my second B&M shifter in 17 years! the first was a Quick Silver 17yrs trouble free

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cardiac;

Does a Hammer use a positive feel rod? What are the reverse lockout type features? As stated in our earlier post, Don from Sallee Chevrolet sent us a B&M Unimatic Automatic Shifter that is cable operated, therefore, we just aren't sure what to expect. We have never had a B&M shifter of any type on any automobile before.

Any additional info greatly appreciated.

Richard, Judy, and MAXX2
Member #341

------------------

·
Registered
994 Posts
Have you installed the 4L60 yet? If not, just remember the 4L60 is larger in dia than the TH350. When installing the 4L60, check for clearances at the servo and the top of the trans, these areas are very close. You may want to consider welding studs to the floor or running the bolts up through the floor & tac weld them in place. The reason I suggest locating the shifter prior to installing the transmission is because the top of the tranny is very, very close to the top of the tunnel. It didn't take very long for me to find the "Squeek". The screws were rubbing on the tranny
I welded studs to the floor because the trans was already installed.
An idea that I've entertained is to get a 4spd hump & carpet to match for a bench seat. this way you can relocate the shifter closer to the driver. I'll order the hump first and see how well it fits before I dive into the cost of the carpet molded for the 4spd.
The 4spd hump is about $30 from Ausley's www.chevelle.com

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
994 Posts
The "Hammer" is a VERY tight shifter. Cable operated with a cool indicator light day or night
It has a spoon (lift)lever for reverse lock out. I'll try to send you a picture with my new digital camera.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If you are going to choose a B&M shifter get the quicksilver. I had the hammer on my 700R and threw it away when the quicksilver came out in a 4 speed version. Could never get a good park and a good low, maybe I got a defective shifter, but I adjusted it in every combination possible. The quicksilver is much smother and you dont have to deal with any levers to pull up.

------------------
If it were'nt for old chevrolets I'd probably would have killed myself by now! JJ

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
The 700r4 and the 4L60 are the same trans. The GM transmissions have been cable operated for years. You might want to try www.shiftworks.com to see if they have anything you can use or any advise.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.

·
Registered
994 Posts
MarkM - Did you pull out the little nut and bolt that enables you to go all the way into 4th gear. Also, you have to use the forward hole the "L" bracket attached to the tranny. I've had both Quick Silver & the Hammer without any problems. I bought the Quick Silver new about 19 years ago and replaced the cable only once. I just wanted something different and I'm pleased with the Hammer. The one thing I don't like about B&M is their instructions read like Mississippi drinking water
you do need to follow instructions closely for proper adjustments and they can be a pain to get right.

LVMAXX I don't think you have the clearance for a Lokar shifter, that is if it's the type that attaches to the tranny?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 01-04-2000).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
LVMAXX - It just occured to me that when you said you don't want a center console, does that mean the 'console-style' plastic stuff you get with most after market shifters such as the Quick-Silver & Hammer?
How deep (inches) of the shifter is below the shifter boot? Base of mounting flange to bottem of boot?

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.