Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
you can go for the low profile brodix intake.

Its a dual plane and low, even bit lower than the original 396/375 intake, you can tell by looking how tall the distributor is in relation.

Shafiroff sells them for 600.

Recently they made a BBC 598 with that intake and it made 765 hp.

you can go for the low profile brodix intake.

Its a dual plane and low, even bit lower than the original 396/375 intake, you can tell by looking how tall the distributor is in relation.

Shafiroff sells them for 600.

Recently they made a BBC 598 with that intake and it made 765 hp.

Great video, thanks
Thanks - I saw that, but I was told that manifold is lower than the original high rise 396 intake, not the low rise one I'm looking at. I'll have to dig more on that one...

EDIT: Just talked to Shafiroff - those Brodix intakes are 5.175" carb pad height. They confirmed the compare is to the high rise intake, not the low rise one.
You don't want a tall deck 496. Get one on a standard deck height and it will bolt right in.
I'm new to these big engines when you say standard deck, are you talking about a 454?, It would be nice to get a long block 454 and transfer my 396 parts to it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
if this is the 496 you are asking about, they are not tall deck. They are standard deck, 9.8"
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Yes that's the engine are these any good? They look bad ass but I'm not a gear head I'm a auto body guy on the side I painted my car 3 weeks ago in my garage now I putting it back together those are some funky reflections toward the front, the paint job came out great I'm really happy with it
PXL_20210626_210719546.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
496 and only 515 HP ???, Do yourself a HUGE favor and contact a few members here that are Pro builders, "Vortecpro" Mark Jones has about the best bang for your buck BBC, with help from "Wolfplace" Mike Lewis for parts I was able to get my goal of a 600 hp in a 489 cu. in. ( and it could have been more hp but I want to run a/c W/O any issues), actually dynoed 590 hp 600 tq, there are about 6-8 builders on the board that I would be contacting if I were looking for a crate engine, use the "search" function in the Perf section, I wonder what kind of parts are in the 515 hp engine? Add says it has Wiseco pistons then says Keith Black is a leader in pistons? some of the term spelling is questionable IMHO and I'm NOT a mechanic (stupid little things like a/c people spelling a filter drier like a clothes dryer bug me, if they can't spell parts of their trade well?) and NO timing cover, dampener, oil pan (Don't forget for A body) or oil pump so probably no oil pump drive shaft either, Cast Valves??? I think it's a problem waiting to happen if it's the engine in the Ebay link
Ya I need more research, thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
True be that. If you have the lead time and dont need instant gratification, VORTECPRO is a BBC guru. His 454 will outproduce the thrown together 496 and bolt right in. Now I had some upgrades, but a 467 pushing 605 hp/600 ft lbs set me back 7k, and around 9 months lead time.

His 482/496 will push closer to650+ HP.

PS the MJ467 is a really docile beast until you give it air. Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde it is.

To answer your question a 454, or std deck height 496 will bolt right in. The only issue may be manifld height, but I suspect your hood clearance will be exactly as it is now.

And on 66-67, its scant! I use a 1/2" phenolic spacer under the Holley and with a 3" air cleaner its really close. GMPP manifold.

Vortecpro: VortecPro - Racing & Machine - Homepage
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,657 Posts
Very Nice looking paint job, IMHO I'd forget about that Ebay engine, JMHO :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, I've got a big block going into my Z28 and want to keep the stock hood so I have a similar problem as the OP - hood clearance.

I've narrowed it down to 2 manifolds that will allow me to do that - the Edelbrock Torker II and the reproduction low-rise GM manifold (3963569) From what I can tell by using The Google, the Torker II has a 3.82" carb pad height, and the 3963569 manifold has a 3.06" carb pad height. I'm going to go with the 3963569 manifold on mine.

So, the OP could try the 3963569 manifold as well (though I believe you have to remove the splash shield to use it with a roller cam.) Options are quite limited if you want anything short as far as BBC intakes go.
Thanks for the info, with luck my 396 will be ok and that would be the end of it, at least for now

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
What do you recommend for a intake it a 325hp 396, Holley 750 medium kinda cam don't know the specs
Just a good old RPM Performer or the GM version, both will work great. I see no need for the Air Gap stuff on the street more of a gimmick. My RPM and Gap run the same at the track.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, I've got a big block going into my Z28 and want to keep the stock hood so I have a similar problem as the OP - hood clearance.

I've narrowed it down to 2 manifolds that will allow me to do that - the Edelbrock Torker II and the reproduction low-rise GM manifold (3963569) From what I can tell by using The Google, the Torker II has a 3.82" carb pad height, and the 3963569 manifold has a 3.06" carb pad height. I'm going to go with the 3963569 manifold on mine.

So, the OP could try the 3963569 manifold as well (though I believe you have to remove the splash shield to use it with a roller cam.) Options are quite limited if you want anything short as far as BBC intakes go.
Great video, thanks

I'm new to these big engines when you say standard deck, are you talking about a 454?, It would be nice to get a long block 454 and transfer my 396 parts to it
Yeah standard deck is 9.8 inches, like all mark 4 396-454 passenger cars came.
With a 454 block most people rebuild it as a 454 or up to 496.
With a big bore gen 5/6 or aftermarket block you can achieve up to 615 cuis with off the shelfs parts from guys like shafiroff..
either pump gas or drag race versions..
most guys go with 540s i feel..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
if this is the 496 you are asking about, they are not tall deck. They are standard deck, 9.8"
yes that's the one it looks cool but i dont know anything about these motors, i just know the basics 350s 369, 427,etc, my plan was to finish this engine by swapping every thing over from my 396, but im sure id run into problems,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah standard deck is 9.8 inches, like all mark 4 396-454 passenger cars came.
With a 454 block most people rebuild it as a 454 or up to 496.
With a big bore gen 5/6 or aftermarket block you can achieve up to 615 cuis with off the shelfs parts from guys like shafiroff..
either pump gas or drag race versions..
most guys go with 540s i feel..
could i bore my 396 to a 496? would it be even worth it with the old 325hp heads on there? may as well get something new and sell my 396 if it came down to it?

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
could i bore my 396 to a 496? would it be even worth it with the old 325hp heads on there? may as well get something new and sell my 396 if it came down to it?
Naw, its hard to get a 396 to 4.250" bore. You need a 454 block. The 396 heads may work, what casting # are they?

·
Registered
192 Posts
there are 2 old blocks: both 396 and 454 blocks are mark 4 blocks, but both can only be safely bored to .060 over. over that can work, but no guarantee.

So you could actually bore the 396 .030 over and install a 4.25 stroker crank and get 454 cui, or even 460 cui with .060 overbore.

But thats something i would consider as a good compromise when its a numbersmatching block and you definitely want to use it, but still want more power...

otherwise i would either make use of what you already have, or buy a 454 from mark jones and sell the old engine..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts