Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, you guys have helped me with a gauge question I had and I really appreciate it,, that being said i have another question, I have a 69 Chevelle with a 66, 396 in it and it may have a cracked block the possibility is real low but its a possibility, the exhaust at idle is very rich with a touch of grey, even though i cant smell any coolant and the oil is clear my coolant was low, but for the last three yrs I've been doing body work and i haven't ran the engine much, im almost done with the car then I'm gonna focus on the engine , living in NH it can real cold up here and my coolant could have been not 50/50 and maybe something happen over the last winter?, that being said i was thinking of a EBAY 496 stoker motor this guy is selling them for 5K, the problem is I'm not sure if my hood will clear? has anyone put one of these tall deck strokers in a 69? as it is my 396 with a 14x3 air filter barely clears the hood it has a Edelbrock T 2.0 intake with a Holley 750 single pump it was leaking last yr i rebuilt it i tried to lean the idle circuit but the engine don't like it when cold it pops ands stalls, so it runs rich, id like the 496 idea but i know it wont be just pull the 396 and drop the 496 in without problems, that being said i hope the 396 is okay, that 600hp 496 will just get me tickets,, Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
28,651 Posts
i was thinking of a EBAY 496 stoker motor this guy is selling them for 5K, the problem is I'm not sure if my hood will clear? has anyone put one of these tall deck strokers in a 69?
if this is the 496 you are asking about, they are not tall deck. They are standard deck, 9.8"

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,657 Posts
496 and only 515 HP ???, Do yourself a HUGE favor and contact a few members here that are Pro builders, "Vortecpro" Mark Jones has about the best bang for your buck BBC, with help from "Wolfplace" Mike Lewis for parts I was able to get my goal of a 600 hp in a 489 cu. in. ( and it could have been more hp but I want to run a/c W/O any issues), actually dynoed 590 hp 600 tq, there are about 6-8 builders on the board that I would be contacting if I were looking for a crate engine, use the "search" function in the Perf section, I wonder what kind of parts are in the 515 hp engine? Add says it has Wiseco pistons then says Keith Black is a leader in pistons? some of the term spelling is questionable IMHO and I'm NOT a mechanic (stupid little things like a/c people spelling a filter drier like a clothes dryer bug me, if they can't spell parts of their trade well?) and NO timing cover, dampener, oil pan (Don't forget for A body) or oil pump so probably no oil pump drive shaft either, Cast Valves??? I think it's a problem waiting to happen if it's the engine in the Ebay link

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
True be that. If you have the lead time and dont need instant gratification, VORTECPRO is a BBC guru. His 454 will outproduce the thrown together 496 and bolt right in. Now I had some upgrades, but a 467 pushing 605 hp/600 ft lbs set me back 7k, and around 9 months lead time.

His 482/496 will push closer to650+ HP.

PS the MJ467 is a really docile beast until you give it air. Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde it is.

To answer your question a 454, or std deck height 496 will bolt right in. The only issue may be manifld height, but I suspect your hood clearance will be exactly as it is now.

And on 66-67, its scant! I use a 1/2" phenolic spacer under the Holley and with a 3" air cleaner its really close. GMPP manifold.

Vortecpro: VortecPro - Racing & Machine - Homepage

·
Registered
192 Posts
if i were you, i would go for a vortecpro and keep the old engine and either rebuild it by myself or sell it in parts..
Thats exactly what i did and its the most stressfree and cost effective high power solution..

his engines and combinations are optimzied to a level of detail only to be found few and far between within engine builders, not to speak of crate engine assemblers..
you should see how he makes peanut port BBCs fly with over 500hp lol ..
His 467-570 is already on the level of a thrown together 496.
The 496-650 performs like a crate 540 or oem/gm 572..
btw: i´m from germany despite shipping and all the hustle everything went as smooth as it can with mark..

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I know you have a hood clearance problem but that Torker II is killing that engine power wise.
Yeah, I've got a big block going into my Z28 and want to keep the stock hood so I have a similar problem as the OP - hood clearance.

I've narrowed it down to 2 manifolds that will allow me to do that - the Edelbrock Torker II and the reproduction low-rise GM manifold (3963569) From what I can tell by using The Google, the Torker II has a 3.82" carb pad height, and the 3963569 manifold has a 3.06" carb pad height. I'm going to go with the 3963569 manifold on mine.

So, the OP could try the 3963569 manifold as well (though I believe you have to remove the splash shield to use it with a roller cam.) Options are quite limited if you want anything short as far as BBC intakes go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, I've got a big block going into my Z28 and want to keep the stock hood so I have a similar problem as the OP - hood clearance.

I've narrowed it down to 2 manifolds that will allow me to do that - the Edelbrock Torker II and the reproduction low-rise GM manifold (3963569) From what I can tell by using The Google, the Torker II has a 3.82" carb pad height, and the 3963569 manifold has a 3.06" carb pad height. I'm going to go with the 3963569 manifold on mine.

So, the OP could try the 3963569 manifold as well (though I believe you have to remove the splash shield to use it with a roller cam.) Options are quite limited if you want anything short as far as BBC intakes go.
you can go for the low profile brodix intake.

Its a dual plane and low, even bit lower than the original 396/375 intake, you can tell by looking how tall the distributor is in relation.

Shafiroff sells them for 600.

Recently they made a BBC 598 with that intake and it made 765 hp.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
you can go for the low profile brodix intake.

Its a dual plane and low, even bit lower than the original 396/375 intake, you can tell by looking how tall the distributor is in relation.

Shafiroff sells them for 600.

Recently they made a BBC 598 with that intake and it made 765 hp.

Thanks - I saw that, but I was told that manifold is lower than the original high rise 396 intake, not the low rise one I'm looking at. I'll have to dig more on that one...

EDIT: Just talked to Shafiroff - those Brodix intakes are 5.175" carb pad height. They confirmed the compare is to the high rise intake, not the low rise one.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

I guess I find it a little odd as years ago when I had my 69 Chevelle with a 396 I had a C-396 and a Torker 2.0 (canted) intake on the car. With the stock GM drop base air cleaner the hood closed great. I will look at the the track for the Chevelle's with stock hoods that have some BBC's to see what intake they have.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
the problem is I'm not sure if my hood will clear? has anyone put one of these tall deck strokers in a 69? as it is my 396 with a 14x3 air filter barely clears the hood it has a Edelbrock T 2.0 intake
You probably have the wrong type of air cleaner on it. The GM or a reproduction GM open element air cleaner drops down much more than a normal Edelbrock or Moroso open air cleaner. I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a nitrous plate and stacked heat shield and my hood has enough clearance. Wasn't even close to closing with a Moroso dropped air filter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You probably have the wrong type of air cleaner on it. The GM or a reproduction GM open element air cleaner drops down much more than a normal Edelbrock or Moroso open air cleaner. I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a nitrous plate and stacked heat shield and my hood has enough clearance. Wasn't even close to closing with a Moroso dropped air filter.
Thanks for the info👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's great I'll look at that

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help I will look at that
BBC 396/350 OEM engine factory stock but upgraded to my GTABBC288-300-9, Morel 5374s, roller rockers and springs.
View attachment 717039
Wow that's huge

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds good
I guess I find it a little odd as years ago when I had my 69 Chevelle with a 396 I had a C-396 and a Torker 2.0 (canted) intake on the car. With the stock GM drop base air cleaner the hood closed great. I will look at the the track for the Chevelle's with stock hoods that have some BBC's to see what intake they have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya my hood barely closes

1 - 20 of 36 Posts