Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had my engine on TDC but I'm having backfiring through the carb and won't start during cranking.

My next step is too
1. pull the valve cover off
2. rotate #1 cylinder to TDC
3. Visualize to make sure both Intake and Exhaust valves are closed

Heres my question...
With the #1 piston at TDC and both intake and exhaust valves closed, what position will the #6 cylinder's valves be at???

I'm having backfiring through the carb on 180 and at TDC. I'm going through the process of finding TDC again to start over but I just had a quick question about what position the valves would be at on #6 cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Hello Rat,

Mark #1 on the bottom of the distributor, take the cap off, take number one plug out, rotate motor while thumb is over spark plug hole. When you feel pressure against your thumb, look at your timing mark on your balancer, put it on about 8* btdc, rotate your mark on your distributor to align up with your rotor, and put your cap back on. Make sure your wires on are correct (i know you know this, sometimes we get in a hurry and miss the obvious). This should get you going.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm going to start from the beginning tomorrow. The sun started to go down and I thought I could fire it up real quick before it got dark and all of the neighbors came home. I had just enough time to crank her over and was getting backfiring through the carb. I then rotated the cap 180 and tried again but still had backfiring. This is where I stopped. I didn't want to keep cranking and cause a cam failure.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
if you drop the dist when it seems right, with the timing gears dot-to-dot it is on #6 firing stroke. Seems silly to me too, but it's been that way since 1955. just lift the dist and turn 180, good to go.

·
Registered
859 Posts
what do you mean by rotating the cap? Do you mean the distributer

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
if it's a hydraulic cam with the lifters pumped up the pushrods on both #1 and #6 cylinders willl be tight at TDC. either use the finger in the spark plug hole with remote starter button or pull a valve cover and bump the engine over till you see the intake valve open and close on the cylinder ( 1 or 6 ) you're viewing, next time the timing mark comes up it's on TDC firing stroke for that cylinder. the rotor should be pointing to the plug wire for the cylinder you're working with.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I thought I had my engine on TDC but I'm having backfiring through the carb and won't start during cranking.

My next step is too
1. pull the valve cover off
2. rotate #1 cylinder to TDC
3. Visualize to make sure both Intake and Exhaust valves are closed

Heres my question...
With the #1 piston at TDC and both intake and exhaust valves closed, what position will the #6 cylinder's valves be at???

I'm having backfiring through the carb on 180 and at TDC. I'm going through the process of finding TDC again to start over but I just had a quick question about what position the valves would be at on #6 cylinder.
The #6 valves will be in the overlap position.Depending on your cam..they may not be seated at TDC.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The #6 valves will be in the overlap position.Depending on your cam..they may not be seated at TDC.
That makes sense now. I remember when I started to adjust the valves I noticed that the #1 cylinder intake/exhaust valves were maybe 1/8th to 1/4 open and the #6 valves were both fully closed.

Thanks for all the info guys. I:hurray: should be laying some huge burnouts by tomorrow afternoon!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.