Team Chevelle banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the story, I picked up a 496 that was built with procomp parts (I know they are crap but anyway) I installed before i deployed and it ran fine when i came home to continue my resto I forgot the air cleaner stud was loose and it fell in my carb and the metal fragments damaged 3 pistons and 2 rods. The engine is pulled and at the machine shop; the problem is my machinist just wants to use the old comp crank and buy a new set of pistons and rods but i think it would be cheaper to buy a complete balanced kit from Coast High (or somebody you recommend) with all brand name parts but he says its better to do everything "in house", kits sometime don't fit right. Is this true? Is he just trying get over on me? and last question Did you guys have problems with your kits, or did you use one at all, thanks i appreciate your help in advance

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would get a new kit from someone like Mike Lewis or Chris Straub. I used Mike Lewis and he does his own balancing. Cranks look great after it's balanced and are done right. Mike is a perfectionist. Scat or Eagle are good cranks for your money. How are the units from Coast HP?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I got a great deal on an all forged Probe 496 rotating assembly kit from Chris Straub...and he balances them in house. It all went together just fine...no issues.
And I've bought from Mike Lewis before too...either guy is recommended.
Personally, I'd get rid of all that ProComp crap... :(

·
Super Moderator
9,497 Posts
Ditto on the notes above. Too many $$ at stake to take a chance on anyone else :yes:

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
I got a great deal on an all forged Probe 496 rotating assembly kit from Chris Straub...and he balances them in house. It all went together just fine...no issues.
And I've bought from Mike Lewis before too...either guy is recommended.
Personally, I'd get rid of all that ProComp crap... :(
X2 on Mike Lewis. I bought a balanced 496 kit from him, and my engine builder found both the parts and the machine work to be top notch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I stroked my 454 as well for similar reasons you did. I wound up going with a whole assembley because it was just a little more money. My engine builder reccomended Ohio Crankshaft. He said their stuff is getting better and better and the price is much more bearable. Got a forged internally balanced assembley including H beams and SRP Pistons. No problems yet and runs great!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, I'm dumping the pro comp crank, with the kits are they just bolt and go, I'm trying to avoid paying for machine work twice, thanks again

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pretty much any good machinist will do the necessary checks on the engine before assembling. Decking the block, check the alignment of the holes the crank rides in(sorry cant remember the technical name) and the other things. He should also double check the balance of the crankshaft(if you go with internal balancing). The supplier will provide a balanced crank but dont just trust it. If you did go with an internally balanced crank you need a new harmonic balancer and fly wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts