Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked a set of 461 heads. They were built years ago by Larry's Performance in Montebello, Ca. but never used. The quality of work appears very good. 2.02 intakes and 1.6 exhaust. The intakes were gasket matched with very little work in the pocket. The exhaust were fully ported from the gasket surface into the seat, with hardened exhaust seats. What I am wondering is. The outer set of holes for the head bolts has been threaded. Has anyone ever seen this before? What would the purpose be for doing this. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Are the threads the same pitch as the head bolts? I can't see any reason for someone to do this... Do the head bolts break into the ports from over porting and used a threaded inset to seal the port?

·
Registered
602 Posts
One on each end to hold the head for machining.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I just fitted a pair of 291's to the 283 in my El Camino, Both of the heads had the centre most head stud holes done the same way.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
Jim, are your 291s 1.94s or 2.02? There are problems with the intake valves hitting the top of the block.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Jim, are your 291s 1.94s or 2.02? There are problems with the intake valves hitting the top of the block.
Using a 4.000 bore block there should be no problems with the valves hitting the top of the block. I have used 2.050 valves with no problems.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Using a 4.000 bore block there should be no problems with the valves hitting the top of the block. I have used 2.050 valves with no problems.
Aren't 283s just under 4" 3 7/8"?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
That's why I said in A 4.000 BORE BLOCK REREAD MY POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did read your post, that is why I posted. I thought your post meant there should be no problem in is 283. I guess you were warning him that it won't work.
No need for shouting or dozens of exclamation points.

·
Registered
806 Posts
But 283's are not normally 4in.blocks and there is no need to get all bent out of shape. Most people apologize to those who they misunderstood and get upset at...

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,330 Posts
What Jeff said.

Reactions: cozmacozmy

·
Boldly procrastrinating
29,330 Posts
"CNC BLOCKS N/E likes this."

LOL. yer slippin Carl