Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay see here’s some details before I go into the issue. It’s 454 4 bolt block out of a 87 dually along with a turbo 400 from the same truck. I have the motor in my 65 & I’m finishing up the build. 2 weeks ago I torqued down my damper bolt and I could spin the motor over by hand no problem. 4.5 quarts of oil are in the pan & filter. Not 100% sure if it made it into the new oil pump yet. So here’s my issue...today I went to install the starter & crank it for the first time in its new home. Starter is installed & I can’t get the motor to turn over via starter or the damper bolt. We were able to move it a smidge by prying on the flex plate with a screwdriver(I know, bad idea). When we hit it with the starter you can see the crank jolt a little but it doesn’t spin. Any ideas on why this motor won’t spin. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

Ps I also tried taking the plugs out to try to spin in with no compression. No luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct starter? Take it out and see if it will turn over again by hand.
Correct starter? Take it out and see if it will turn over again by hand.
This would be my first step also.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Same starter as when it was in the 87’ truck. It ran & drive before I pulled it. I also checked under where the flex plate & starter gear meet. There wasn’t any interference. Could a motor seize in two weeks without a drop of water landing on it

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Has the motor turned over since the trans was bolted up?
Something has changed if it turned over and now doesn’t. Back track on what you’ve changed.

Reactions: Rick-P

·
Registered
875 Posts
Same starter as when it was in the 87’ truck. It ran & drive before I pulled it. I also checked under where the flex plate & starter gear meet. There wasn’t any interference. Could a motor seize in two weeks without a drop of water landing on it
Anything is possible but it's not probable.

What else did you do after installing the damper bolt?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trans & torque converter was already bolted to the motor when I rotated a few weeks back. I’m racking my brain to think of anything I did that would make this thing lock up. Dizzy was already in and I didn’t mess with the valve train. Only thing different is the installation of oil pressure gauge to the same port the old sensor went on the front driver side of the block

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Mike,
Crazy question but are all of the accessories the same ? Take the belts off and see what happens. I had the AC compressor lock up solid on my Tahoe a year or so ago and it was just like the engine was locked up solid.

By the way, be careful turning the engine over with the crank bolt. There was a thread on here not all that long ago where somebody broke a crank bolt doing that.

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
did you use a 1/8" drill bit between the ring gear and starter drive? jim

Reactions: Rick-P

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike,
Crazy question but are all of the accessories the same ? Take the belts off and see what happens. I had the AC compressor lock up solid on my Tahoe a year or so ago and it was just like the engine was locked up solid.

By the way, be careful turning the engine over with the crank bolt. There was a thread on here not all that long ago where somebody broke a crank bolt doing that.
I’m running a serpentine from an early 90s s10 with adapter plates from qwik performance. I was doing all this with no belt so I don’t believe the accessories to be the issue. And good call on the damper bolt, that would be a nightmare breaking that bolt in the snout of the crank. But at the same time that torque spec is around 80 ft pounds & the motor was spinning by the time I was getting it to 50ft LBs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you use a 1/8" drill bit between the ring gear and starter drive? jim
I haven’t done that. The starter dropped outta there a few weeks ago with no shims or anything like that so I thought it would go right back home without any adjustment. Am I way off for assuming that to be the case?

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Re: 454 Won’t Turn Over

I haven’t done that. The starter dropped outta there a few weeks ago with no shims or anything like that so I thought it would go right back home without any adjustment. Am I way off for assuming that to be the case?

If it was on that engine and working fine then it should go back the same way.

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Any chance that maybe something got dropped into the intake while doing the swap ? I would certainly not try to force it and would not try the starter again without figuring out why it isn't turning over. Have you tried turning it backwards maybe by using a prybar on the flywheel ?

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Did you put any new bolts in the right front side of the block in front of the fuel pump? If so, back them out and see if she spins. Drop the starter since it's the only other thing you added.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would start with removing the starter. It sounds like the only significant thing you've added since the engine and tranny got installed together and was spinning when they first went in. I agree with others with not forcing or trying the starter again until after it's been removed and you've tested if the motor will turn by hand with no plugs. I've never heard of a motor seizing from just sitting.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts

Any chance that maybe something got dropped into the intake while doing the swap ? I would certainly not try to force it and would not try the starter again without figuring out why it isn't turning over. Have you tried turning it backwards maybe by using a prybar on the flywheel ?
Now that's a good idea.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Okay see here’s some details before I go into the issue. It’s 454 4 bolt block out of a 87 dually along with a turbo 400 from the same truck. I have the motor in my 65 & I’m finishing up the build. 2 weeks ago I torqued down my damper bolt and I could spin the motor over by hand no problem. 4.5 quarts of oil are in the pan & filter. Not 100% sure if it made it into the new oil pump yet. So here’s my issue...today I went to install the starter & crank it for the first time in its new home. Starter is installed & I can’t get the motor to turn over via starter or the damper bolt. We were able to move it a smidge by prying on the flex plate with a screwdriver(I know, bad idea). When we hit it with the starter you can see the crank jolt a little but it doesn’t spin. Any ideas on why this motor won’t spin. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

Ps I also tried taking the plugs out to try to spin in with no compression. No luck
There is a tool for grabbing and turning the flex plate (probably available locally) https://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Flexplate-Flywheel-Turning-Tool/751072/10002/-1

Have you tried turning the engine back the opposite direction?

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,982 Posts
yeah, turn it backwards. if it goes turn it backwards at least 2 complete turns, see if it goes. I wouldn't use the starter on it untill this is sorted.

Reactions: hydro462
1 - 20 of 33 Posts