Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's probably really rare like the statistics prove out, though a 454 Sprint need not have been a SP since the big block was available in all models from 73-75.

The 73-77 Elkys and sprints are gaining in popularity more so than the coupes, but still far behind the 64-72 and 78 - 87 models. It'll cost ya plenty to restore if that is what you are thinking, parts are very hard to come by, BTDT

------------------
Frank W
G-3 Chevelles Rule
74 Laguna Type S-3 Warmed over 305
4 bolt 454 now in garage 3.42 Posi
90 Mustang LX Notch 5.0/5 speed daily driver
Homepagehttp://www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Club Page clubs.hemmings.com/bearingburners

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
The Arab oil embargo from October '73 pretty much killed the demand for the biggest engines for the '74 models. Back then I remember hearing that the world had maybe a 25 year supply of oil left. Additionally the insurance surcharges on an El Camino SS 454 or equivalent made people back away. Never mind that the 1973/4 models were probably the thirstiest and wimpiest to date (not too hard to rectify, but it won't meet the '74 emission standards any more). Given that the GMC Sprint was far less common than the Elky it's not hard to believe that so few were built in '74. After all there were only 130 Laguna Type S3 models sold in Canada with 454s in 1974. Figure that only about 10% were 4-speeds, that makes only 13. Figures like that sound accurate. I'll bet that the majority were sold to young guys with lots of money working in oil-rich Alberta during the boom.
Restoration parts are few and far between for them, but because of the model and engine it would almost be worth it to buy a solid car (truck?) to use for parts. It sounds like a neat truck!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I pretty much agree with all the posts here.
Any 454 Sprint is rare. '71 and '75 are probably the rarest. Imagine a '75 SP-454 Sprint with a 4-speed. I've yet to see one.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
<A HREF="http://www.DesignsComputed.com/cars/cars.HTM
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.DesignsComputed.com/cars/cars.HTM
</A>

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
You've got an Estate, not an SP. Sherman & Associates has some body panels for that generation. You can get repop vinyl seat covers if it has swivel buckets. If the thing is truly wasted, grab those big block motor mounts because they are hard to find for that generation. Check out the differential as it is probably one of those curious 8.75" ring gear models and may even have a 12-bolt cover. The automatics came with 2.73 as standard and 3.42 optional in '74. Also you could grab that double hump crossmember as it was only used in 73/4. Hey CDN2PLS2 I see you're in Hamilton. I'm coming to Hamilton this Sunday and will be in town for a few days. I'd love to check this thing out if I can find the time (got a major exam in 2 weeks)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Cam, the Sprint is in Quebec,but I'm leaving tomorrow nite to go down for the holidays.I'll try to get the time to take a closer look at it.My brother just bought a '68 SD396 Beaumont down there.Does anybody know of any of these??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.