Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok dropped of the 454 BB at the machine shop:

Work includes:
1. Disassemble 781's machine for 2.19 intake. Install new valves and harden seats (I supply valves 2.19 and 1.73 with new spring kit)
2. Dip block and Machine 0.030 over
3. Line Hone main bearings
4. Recondition rods with new hardware
5. Press on new pistons (I supply pistons)
5. Polish steel crank (already machined 0.020)
6. Cut Flywheel
7. Balance complete assembly.

Estimate provided:
$3200 for labor and machining
$600 for hardware/gaskets, etc.

I assemble everything when machining completed.

Just let me know if this is in the ballpark? :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,756 Posts
$3200 for labor/machine work
$600 for hardware/gaskets
+ you buy the pistons?
Sounds pricey to me. Sounds just like a basic rebuild other than the larger intake valves.
You really don't need hardened seats IMHO and experience

FYI.we just had a 351W shortbock done..customer supplied the pistons.
Machine shop cleaned, bored+prepped the block,cut/polish crank,install cam bearin,etx. recon the rods,balance and assemble the shortblock only (customer wanted to bolt on the heads (he bought Edelbrocks) and install the cam himself)
Machine shop bill was a little over $1200

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
ok my block work same as yours was $450 this includes hottank, bore to .060, new cam bearings, line bore install customer supplied main studs and stud girdle. $240 covered file fitting rings for 300 shot N.O.S. and installing cam and degreeing it in, crank, rods, pistons but they are full floating.$200 for internal balance. so $890 for short block labor. I supplied a new GMPP crank $275, rods $300, and pistons $525 thanks again Cstraub. bearings were $150, rings were $55, oil pump and pick up was $45,gasket kit was $40, billet timing chain was $45, new aluminum timing cover $35, timming pointer from summit $20. $100 for used roller cam got it from builder. so total cost for complete short block parts and labor it was $2480. This does not included lifters, push rods or head studs. heads cost $250 for valve job. hope this helps

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
In all fairness its pretty pricey around here for just about everything - including engine rebuilding!

Bryan - that's a little high for me too. Heck, 5000.00 and you can get a whole new 454HO. Sell your current stuff and 454HO is getting real cheap!

G

·
In all fairness its pretty pricey around here for just about everything - including engine rebuilding!

Bryan - that's a little high for me too. Heck, 5000.00 and you can get a whole new 454HO. Sell your current stuff and 454HO is getting real cheap!
What about my 570 hp engine for 4695.00?

·
Registered
14,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kirk,
Jess Miller Machine Shop in West Chester PA

·
Registered
14,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1968 Hot Rod,
They were recommended by a friend and it's not too far from where I work.
Good to know that's where Vince and Joe go, although it is a little pricey. However, if it's a quality job done right, I don't mind paying a little more $.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
1968 Hot Rod,
They were recommended by a friend and it's not too far from where I work.
Good to know that's where Vince and Joe go, although it is a little pricey. However, if it's a quality job done right, I don't mind paying a little more $.
That's a bit more than a "little bit more"

Should be about 1/2 that! If that.

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
I agree...3200 just for machining labor is high. When its all said and done, you will be WAY over these #'s. And YOU have to put it togther.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Scary thing is, a rebuilt 454 with a warranty from Advance or one of the chain auto stores is about $1600+ core..they will have either 781's or 049 heads and Speed Pro flat top hypers. Same motor that is in my friend's 69 SS396 that runs low 13's

THAT sure should be a wake-up against rip-off machine shop bills.

Or a Larry's TRACK PRO 454 shortblock for $1495, no core
http://www.larrysperformance.com/data/short.html any run your heads....$2200 for a long block...perf shop with a good reputation in SoCal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.