Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 454 but have no idea what vehicle it came out of. Do all 454 use the same oil pump screen? I went to Auto Zone and they sell a Melling Part #77-S2. Is this the correct screen for a 454?

:beers:

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I have a 454 but have no idea what vehicle it came out of. Do all 454 use the same oil pump screen? I went to Auto Zone and they sell a Melling Part #77-S2. Is this the correct screen for a 454?

:beers:
No not a chance! It all depends on the pan.

Here we go again..."I have a Melling P/N .....with a Melling P/N ......and a Morosso P/N........" "When I rev the engine the oil pressure goes down..could I be pumping the oil pan dry?"

Make absolutly sure you get the right pickup for your pan. If not you will be another one who posts the quotations that I listed up above.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, since I'm new to all this and learning as I go. How do I know I'm getting the correct one with the pan I'm using? The pan I have is a stock pan. Nothing special about it.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
well, since I'm new to all this and learning as I go. How do I know I'm getting the correct one with the pan I'm using? The pan I have is a stock pan. Nothing special about it.
You gotta know the P/N of the pan. I am afraid it is as simple as that and at the same time as complicated as that. The interiors of the pans are different and the pickups are designed to work in conjunction with the baffels that are inside the pan. There is something special about the pan you have. What is special is that it is not any other pan. Sometimes the pickups are shared between pans but in some cases the pickup is unique to the pan.

Sorry to say it but the right way to do this is to get the correct P/N for the pan. That could be a real PIA. On the other hand as Dirty Harry said "Are ya feeling lucky?" Too many times people throw things together then have issues with the oiling system. The GM oiling systems are almost draop dead bullet proof until ya start mixing and matching stuff..then the fun starts.

Best I can say is figure out what pan you have OR get a pan and a pickup that you know work together. That might be the expensive way to do it but if a set of mismatched parts go in thee you might be pulling the engine out to do it over again with a real "set" of matched parts. You might get lucky then again you might not. I have fooled with engines for a long time and I never had an oiling problem when I had pan and pickup that were designed to work together.

If you can figure out what Pan you have it should be easy to get a GM parts book and match up the required pickup...getting the number of the pan could be the toughest part of the jobI am afreaid to say.

·
Administrator
17,201 Posts
George ,have you not identified what engine you have?
The truck pan's don't fit a Chevelle.
If your trying to use what came on the engine ,post the engine id from the front of the block and we'll see what your starting with.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George ,have you not identified what engine you have?
The truck pan's don't fit a Chevelle.
If your trying to use what came on the engine ,post the engine id from the front of the block and we'll see what your starting with.

ok, so what you mean is the id on the upper front next to the passenger side head?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts