Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started up my car today with the r/valve cover off to check to see if oil is getting to the rockers and found that it took 4 to 12 minutes to get to the rockers .i have 454 engine 60 over , comp cam 280h cam ,crane aluminum rockers all with 500 miles on it . oil pressure is 55 cold at 1200 rpm and hot runs at 40 at 2500 rpm . is this normal or is there something wrong .the number 8 exhaust rocker took 12 mins before any oil got to the top . thanks for any info

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any ideas what the problem might be . had the motor rebuilt last year with new comp cam xe284 ,new cam bearings and oil pump . pulled it out after 500 miles and found #8 exhaust lobe worn out and 2 con rod bearings with grooves in them . sent the motor to a different machinest and he put the 280h cam in it as well as new con rod bearings . he also changed the lifter bore plugs inbehind cam gear with plugs with smaller hole in them . engine has more oil pressure but still cant get oil to top of motor very quickly

·
Registered
747 Posts
It may not be an Oil Pressure issue: What Make of Lifters are you using. I'm wondering it might have something to do with the Peddle Valve action. I doubt if the Push Rod Angle on the Rockers would be out enough to block Oil Feed.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
hmmmmmmm, very wrong...
Talked to Outcast John aboot this?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
pressure sounds low to me......I've got a .60 over 454 and it runs 70-75 at cold start up and 50-55 cruising at 2500....just to compare

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks , before i changed the frt lifter bore plugs which had larger holes drilled into them the oil pressure was 45 psi cold at 1000 rpm then it would drop down to around 9 when hot in gear at idle . when the motor was first built back in 2000 with stock heads 236 and the same pistons there were no plugs in the frt of the engine . when i did a cam swap in 2006 i found this out , thats when i put the plugs with the larger holes in it . the machine shop that built the motor in 2000 gave me the plugs to put in . it didnt change the oil pressure at all . i will give outcast john a call tonight thanks again

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
My 454 last fall would not produce oil to the rockers using the 1/2 drill at modest speed and a distributor core as a priming tool, turning it 1/4 while priming, etc...etc
WOLFIE said not to worry.
Sure enough, at start-up, I had oil.

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
I had oil using an air ratchet and a homemade priming tool from an old distributor in less than 2 minutes. It might be possible the oil passages to the lifters could be blocked. The lifters should also be rotating while the engine is running. I'd check the cam lobes to make sure. Another thing you might want to do is readjust the valves. If they are too tight, you might have random oiling issues.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
plugs which had larger holes drilled into them

there were no plugs in the frt of the engine .

thats when i put the plugs with the larger holes in it .

You keep saying plugs with holes. Plugs with holes>? wtf is that ,,,A restrictor? If so that is the problem. Interfering with oil flow and complaining of no flow? Surely I read this wrong. Sorry in advance if that's the case.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
the oil galley plugs on either side of the cam, in front, some years have holes in the pipe plugs. Roughly .035" IIRC

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I was wondering if he meant for front end oiling. Like I said sorry in advance. Sounded like a restrictor to me though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The valves have been adjusted a couple of times ,also engine has been to two different machinist in the past year and both checked out the lifter bores and cleaned everything.I have the cam and lifters changed 2 times as well , used comp cams both times .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts