Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told, when I bought car, engine is a 454 .60 over cast # on block 361959. Pulled flywheel to resurface for new clutch install and this is what I find cast # on flywheel 3791021, not a 454 flywheel .Has material removed is that to balance it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
It almost looks like it has had some material added to balance it.
454 = External balance
396-427 = Internal balance
Does the harmonic balancer have a lump of metal in it ??
Guy

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I might be wrong cause my memory is not great but I think that is a small flywheel 153 tooth as most use the 168 tooth for an 11 inch clutch on big blocks.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,976 Posts
Some moron took a perfectly good neutral-balanced lightweight nodular iron flywheel, and tacked a bunch of weight to it. The mark of a bad balance job is when they add or remove weight to/from the flywheel.

It'll make a good bench-grinder stand bottom. Bolt or weld it to some steel tubing, and put your bench grinder on top. Make sure you have enough room for a container of water for cooling whatever you're grinding.

Reactions: SSJohn

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I might be wrong cause my memory is not great but I think that is a small flywheel 153 tooth as most use the 168 tooth for an 11 inch clutch on big blocks.

I could be wrong,but I believe that back in the sixties they were interchangeable.
Guy

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Some moron took a perfectly good neutral-balanced lightweight nodular iron flywheel, and tacked a bunch of weight to it. The mark of a bad balance job is when they add or remove weight to/from the flywheel.

It'll make a good bench-grinder stand bottom. Bolt or weld it to some steel tubing, and put your bench grinder on top. Make sure you have enough room for a container of water for cooling whatever you're grinding.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Looks like a 153 tooth ring gear fly, for 10-10.5 clutch. Chevrolet never made that (small) flywheel for a big block. Weight was removed opposite the dowel hole so it probably works. Not saying that I would do it that way, but it could work.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I could be wrong,but I believe that back in the sixties they were interchangeable.
Guy
Yes they were interchangeable. I was just pointing out that he had the small flywheel not the preferred 11 inch 168 tooth one. I think you could get them on the real low horse big blocks. The fact that it is the small one and it has a questionable balance job it is pretty much scrap. Now the next problem is, what bellhousing does the OP have.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It's actually known as #3791022 by Chevrolet,but has #3791021 cast into it.
It was used up until 1971,at which time it was superceded.
Original Manual Trans.applications:
*1963-68 Corvette & Passenger w/283-307-327 w/o HD clutch.
*1963-64 Passenger w/6cyl. But not Taxi or P/GL.
*1964-69 G-10/20 Series trucks w/6cyl but not P/GL.
*1964 Taxi w/230 only.
*1965-69 Passenger w/230-250,but not HD clutch,P/GL. or Taxi.
*1969 Pasenger w 327-350,but not Police.
*1962-69 Chevy II 153-194 & Chevelle w/HD clutch.
*1964-69 ALL w/230-250-283-307-327.but w/o P/GL.,Taxi or HD Clutch.
*1967-69 Camaro 302 only.
*1970 ALL 6cyl. & 307 w/o P/GL. or Taxi.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
probably is a 454. put that flywheel on a 396/427 and it would vibrate the fillings out of your teeth and dissolve your kidney stones. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a 153 tooth flywheel was balanced to work on a 454, is this accepted practice or some creative engineering? Can I replace with a 168 for a 454 or plan for a rebuild?

·
Gold Founding Member
10,976 Posts
So a 153 tooth flywheel was balanced to work on a 454, is this accepted practice or some creative engineering? Can I replace with a 168 for a 454 or plan for a rebuild?
It's bottom-of-the-barrel technology, a cheap dodge that avoids 1) putting the weight where it belongs, on the other side of the rear main bearing, 2) (avoids) using expensive weight plugs, 3) probably does not match the GM standard inch-oz weight for a 454, and 4) will make it difficult to match once the flywheel needs to be replaced, 5) which is "right now" since I would not trust a welded, cast-iron flywheel to not explode.

I may have been wrong about that flywheel being "lightweight nodular iron", but no matter what the weight or the variety of cast iron, SOMEONE was irresponsible when they welded to it.

That flywheel is scrap now. And trust nothing else on that balance job, either.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Will your bellhousing accept a 168 tooth flywheel? Not all will. If you are not sure, find the part number of your existing bellhousing and post it here or search google.

Steve R

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bellhousing looks like a Lakewood will take a look to see if I can find # on it. Flywheel has material removes not welded on.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,976 Posts
Flywheel has material removes not welded on.

So the area with the blue arrow is machined away, not added-on?

I'd still be reluctant to use a modified iron flywheel, although material removed is probably better than material added on by welding.

Reactions: GuysMonteSS

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
John,
It is creative engineering but nothing wrong with it. If you do want to use a 168 tooth 454 flywheel just make sure to have someone check it against your "bastard" one to make sure they match as far as balance goes. Anyone with a modern digital crankshaft balancer should be able to check it in about 15 minutes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts