Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
nice part list, should become a really nice versatile engine. Do you have your own workshop?
No just doing it for fun in my garage.
I like BBC’s so cant resist to buy if its cheap enough🤣 have built a couple over the years that I later have sold and built a handfull sbc’s for friends that needed help.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Yeah, I dont know anything about your parts there, especially the heads. 215's and 781's are about all I ever researched. I would have to look up a 236 head.

Warning: Got to be careful with just about any of part these days. Quality control is awful! Comp has alot of issues. I didnt know Allstar made distributors. I was thinking that was circle track stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
No just doing it for fun in my garage.
I like BBC’s so cant resist to buy if its cheap enough🤣 have built a couple over the years that I later have sold and built a handfull sbc’s for friends that needed help.

Where did you get the idea that BBC's are cheap? When you go to the machine shop or buy parts. Look out!!! Your wallet will be lightened.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Where did you get the idea that BBC's are cheap? When you go to the machine shop or buy parts. Look out!!! Your wallet will be lightened.
? What I did say or at least meant was if the core is cheap enough I cant resist. Nothing about parts is cheap. The shops I use doesnt charge more to bore a 454 vs a 350. I probably built around 15 BBC’s so I have a pretty good idea what it will cost.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Yeah, I dont know anything about your parts there, especially the heads. 215's and 781's are about all I ever researched. I would have to look up a 236 head.

Warning: Got to be careful with just about any of part these days. Quality control is awful! Comp has alot of issues. I didnt know Allstar made distributors. I was thinking that was circle track stuff.
236 is peanut port head, 68chevelle and vortecpro can make them fly😃
206 heads was the earliest BBC oval port heads, 215 replaced them if my memory is correct. Some say 206 are among the worst heads but I wanted them to bring my comp up, time will tell how bad that idea was.

I have bought several parts from Comp latest year and actually they are among the better imho.
Rockers, pushrods, bolts, springs, retainers, valve locks, custom roller cam, locators, rotator eliminators, valve seals, guide plates, cam lock plates etc. Guess Im one of their lucky customers.

Reactions: 68Chevele

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,657 Posts
Marcus if you can clean up the 206 heads with some sandpaper cones or stones to make the chambers & ports smoother they will probably flow a little better

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,255 Posts
Looks like a cool build. Will look forward to the progress.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Marcus if you can clean up the 206 heads with some sandpaper cones or stones to make the chambers & ports smoother they will probably flow a little better
206 and 215's will work good but you have to completely rework the chambers over and not use the bigger valves. After that they will work pretty good.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
? What I did say or at least meant was if the core is cheap enough I cant resist. Nothing about parts is cheap. The shops I use doesnt charge more to bore a 454 vs a 350. I probably built around 15 BBC’s so I have a pretty good idea what it will cost.

Look. You posted that laughing face after a comment about cheap. Whole attitude was just out whack. That's all. Im glad you have. I have built one. I gave it to my Dad as a present and he gave it away. I wish I still had that vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
236 is peanut port head, 68chevelle and vortecpro can make them fly😃
206 heads was the earliest BBC oval port heads, 215 replaced them if my memory is correct. Some say 206 are among the worst heads but I wanted them to bring my comp up, time will tell how bad that idea was.

I have bought several parts from Comp latest year and actually they are among the better imho.
Rockers, pushrods, bolts, springs, retainers, valve locks, custom roller cam, locators, rotator eliminators, valve seals, guide plates, cam lock plates etc. Guess Im one of their lucky customers.

Vortecpro is the person to talk to. I really dont get your vibe with emojis. That is not my style. Like I said, I have alot of BBC information at my finger tips. I just don't get into them.

Glad you having success with Comp.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Great advice if he is doing his own work.

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,255 Posts
Two more of the champ pan.
You will like that pan. I did have a small battle with the dipstick tube and my header tube. No biggie though.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
206 and 215's will work good but you have to completely rework the chambers over and not use the bigger valves. After that they will work pretty good.
They have std size valves, the chambers Do look very different vs open chambers.

Reactions: 68Chevele

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The ports looks smoother in real life vs pictures, Im not sure I have the skill to make them better.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm getting one too. Looks very nice

It looks ok but I dont like where they put the drain plug, lots of metal shavings inside so remove the windage tray and clean it and deburr the holes they drilled in the pan.
Im going to paint it orange to keep entire engine more stock looking.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You will like that pan. I did have a small battle with the dipstick tube and my header tube. No biggie though.
Did you use the champ dipstick? When I ordered they pan, pickup and dipstick, the expected arrival time for the dipstick changed from June to October so cancelled the champ dipstick and bought a Moroso and retapped the nut with 1/4” NPT

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
Did you use the champ dipstick? When I ordered they pan, pickup and dipstick, the expected arrival time for the dipstick changed from June to October so cancelled the champ dipstick and bought a Moroso and retapped the nut with 1/4” NPT
Yes I used their dipstick tube and pickup tube. I'm not too good at bending lines so it took my some trial and error to get around the header. Always looks so easy, then I get it backwards.

·
Premium Member
17,258 Posts
I think you would be surprised how many Us muscle cars and 50-60’s fullsize cars we have here in Sweden. So there is a decent market but not as in Us but shorter distance if you find a good deal. Most new parts are either from Summit, rockauto or Mike Lewis.
I ought start a new thread on this, but a friend who is selling her 1973 Mustang droptop ( 351 Windsor) was approached by a car dealer in Europe. Of course, she, being a retired state tropper, is a bit suspect, yet I assured her that American muscle is sort of a thing in the EU.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,657 Posts
I think like selling to anyone else just get paid before shipping or releasing the car? a guy I know made a decent living buying then selling & shipping Harleys to Europe

21 - 40 of 42 Posts