Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a rusty std bore 454 shortblock.Seller included a set of 236 heads.

Steel crank.

Thumbrods.

Comp cams 268h flat tappet cam/lifters and a nice comp timing set.

Got it moving after some oil so I could pull it apart. Looks like its been rebuilt in the past. Decided to keep the block and crank std/std in ok condition.

Sold the rest so ended up with a free block and crank.

Removed all plugs in the block.

Had a local shop bore .030 and deck the block.

Plan was to build a budget 500hp 454 under 6000$(since Im in Sweden at least parts are 30-40% than in Us).

First version was to use a set of gen VI vortec heads but the set I bought was not in the shape I hoped, when they arrived.

454+.030 forged crank, aftermarket rods, forged flat top pistons, SFI balancer and flexplate. Vortec heads, hyd roller cam/lifters with springs retainers and rocker arm studs from my 489. Proffesional products intake and maybe a quadrajet.

Since. I already had bought some parts to match the 100cc chambers my option was limited.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Block was actually much better than it first looked, much that looks like rust was dirt and oil.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proffesional intake I gave a gasket match, later went speedmaster and finally a used Edelbrock RPM. The Edelbrock turned out real good after cleaning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a empty set of 206 heads I had rebuilt and gave a light cleanup.

Ferrea valves.

Howard springs with comp locator and manley retainers. (Springs and retainers are from my 489).

Comp valve seals and locks.

Arp rocker studs and a used set of ARP head bolts from my 489.

Wasnt really happy with the ports on the proffesional products intake so port matched to a set of fel pro gaskets.

But gave up the quadrajet idea since I found a Holley 3310 750 that was almost new for a great price.

So thought I would try another cheap chinese intake, so ordered a speedmaster air gap copy. It was a bad idea. Not impressed with the look or quality bad machined and felt real strange extremely light and colour was strange almost like it had paint? Metall didnt look like pure aluminum?

So started to search for another intake and a used Edelbrock rpm showed up pretty local for a decent price. Sold both the other intakes and decided to try to use as little chinese parts as possible after the intakes and a pro comp Msd distributor copy that also was real bad quality.

The Edelbrock was little dirty but cleaned up nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We used that Holley on a 355 with a weiand 177 I helped a friend with 2008. He wrecked the car the carb was sold to my brother in law so has been on a shelf since 2009. So I had modified it for boost reference so took it apart and turned it back to a regular carb again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So this is current combo.

454+.030 9.5 in comp( my end up little more or little less depending final chamber cc and how close to zero deck the pistons are).

Forged crank std/std.

Eagle rods old version, bought on eBay direct from eagle cheap since they was older version.

Icon flat top forged pistons.

Mahle piston rings.

SFI powerbond harmonic damper.

Earls damper bolt(chinese!?)

Pro comp timing pointer(actually really good quality!?).

SFI summit flexplate(pioneer).

ARP flex plate bolts.

Clevite P bearings.

Melling M77 oil pump.

ARP oil pump driveshaft.

Felpro gasket set.

Champ 207 pan with matching pickup.

Alu timing cover from my 489

Comp billet hyd roller with cast gear from my 489 242 [email protected] .621 .616 112 ls(work real nice in my 489 and nice street manners so hopefully it will work good with little less cui and smaller heads?).

Morel 4603 lifters from my 489.

Engine pro set from my 489.

206 closed chamber heads with light cleanup.

Ferrea 5000 valves.

Howard 98541 springs from my 489(springs will be checked so they are ok pressure vise).

Manley titanium retainers from my 489 will be checked so they have no wear.

Comp locator.

ARP studs.

Has several sets of used pushrods comp hi tech and trend in different lenghts and hope one will work.

Comp 1320-16 roller rocker.

Edelbrock rpm intake.

Holley 3310 750 cfm carb.

Allstar distributor(another chinese disaster!? Reluctor was hitting pickup coil).

Morel distributor gear from my 489.

Moroso plug wires.

Chevrolet wire looms.

NGK spark plugs.

Late 70-early 80 454 valve covers with spacers.

Comp bronze tip fuel pump push rod.

Carter 120 gph fuel pump.

I have spent 5948$ so far so under budget but I havnt had the rotating assembly balanced yet since the shop is closed for vaccation.

So after balancing Im over budget. Total will be almost exact 6500$. Not bad for a build here in Sweden with decent parts and hopefully 500hp. But without using some used parts from my 489 this would never happen here at this price.

Also got another cam lifter idea spinning around. But that will kill the budget with another 900$+ I Dont think I will hit my 500hp goal. Cam is 221 [email protected] .575 .575 112 ls and gaterman lifters. This can also use a spring with little less pressure.

The 489 Im going to take some of the parts from is still in my 64 and is running strong. Plan was to rebuild it and port the heads new cam/lifter+ some other small upgrades but no car shows last summer or so far this summer because the chinese flu. Almost no races. But we just got opendoc for car shows/swap meets outdoor.

Plan was to pull it last winter then changed to this upcomming winter but think it will be at least one more season or two before I decide to pull it.

I have most of the parts for the 489 to 496 rebuild and upgrade. New pistons that match my old in weight, new rings, new valves, new springs, new tool steel retainers, new locks, new gaskets, new melling select pump, new cam, new lifters, even new guides of needed etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The allstar disaster, reluctor was hitting pickup coil as delivered some adjustement and I think its ok.

Attachments

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blocked bypass, smothened out rear cap and checked crank for runout. Going to drop of rotating assembly as soon as the shop Im going to use is open again after vaccation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,316 Posts
Parts hunting in Sweden has to be a challenge. Looks very nice so far!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Great build, now take that set of 236's and do the same work to those like you did to the 206's and run them next. even though you might lower the compression you will get a nice performance surprise. I know I did over my closed chamber heads.

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Parts hunting in Sweden has to be a challenge. Looks very nice so far!
I think you would be surprised how many Us muscle cars and 50-60’s fullsize cars we have here in Sweden. So there is a decent market but not as in Us but shorter distance if you find a good deal. Most new parts are either from Summit, rockauto or Mike Lewis.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great build, now take that set of 236's and do the same work to those like you did to the 206's and run them next. even though you might lower the compression you will get a nice performance surprise. I know I did over my closed chamber heads.
The 236 heads wasnt in that good shape, I did think about using them before I bought the 206 heads but sold them with the speedmaster intake and some other stuff.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,728 Posts
Looking good Marcus (y) my friend is restoring a 65 Impala SS with the original 206 headed 396, 97cc heads, are you rebuilding your 489 to a 496?

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I have had a ALLSTAR Dist & Coil in/on my 468 since 2014 and they are running great

Reactions: Malibu ss 64

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I think you would be surprised how many Us muscle cars and 50-60’s fullsize cars we have here in Sweden. So there is a decent market but not as in Us but shorter distance if you find a good deal. Most new parts are either from Summit, rockauto or Mike Lewis.
I sold a Mustang to a couple of Swedish guys about 10 years ago. They also bought a BBC from me and paid me to deliver it to their shipping warehouse. They had cars and pallets staged there to go on the ship they owned. A big operation. They showed me a bunch of Swedish Hot Rod magazines showing me how big things were in Sweden. Pretty cool!.

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looking good Marcus (y) my friend is restoring a 65 Impala SS with the original 206 headed 396, 97cc heads, are you rebuilding your 489 to a 496?
Will cc my 206 heads if they are 97 cc I might get closed to 9.7 in comp.

Yes my 489 will become a 496 at some point. Bought a set of pistons from Mike Lewis last year that he weight matched to my current set.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Premium Member
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had a ALLSTAR Dist & Coil in/on my 468 since 2014 and they are running great
Hopefully it will work after my adjustement but out of box reluctor was hitting pickup coil. Looks like one of the more decent Msd copies.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS
1 - 20 of 42 Posts