Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 chevelle with a 75 truck 454 I think Iam not sure because I can't find the exact numbers any were. The guy that owned it before me tried also and had his mechanic buddy try and find it to no avail. How much power adders can it tolerate in it stock lower end. It now has a mild cam oval port heads and a dual timing chain. thats about all I know. Couild I put a edelbrock top end kit on it such as the one they are advertising for the 502 that makes 600 hp. I would also like to put a dual quad set up on with it. Am i wasting my time or should I buy a 502 crate 0r 540. Or should I buy a 502 short block edelbrock recommends and then put their top end kit on. The problem is Iam just wasting my current 454 or is not worth the time. Thanks for some opions,
BILLJL

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
the numbers you want are on the back of the block on top, right behind the drivers side head. the front pad numbers are on the pass side where the front of head meets the block . the rear #'s will decode what block it is, the fronts will tell ya what it came from. if the fornt numbers are not there that means your block has been decked .alot of guys here run factory ovals with upsized valves with good results. pull a valve cover,and find those numbers between the rocker arms . numbers ending in 781 or 049 are the most popular ones ,but there are others that will make good power as well. it would be nice to know exactly what you have to work with before you proceed, ya know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.