Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy who wants to sell me a 1976 454 Big Block that came off a 3/4 ton pick-up. Any idea as to how much I might be looking at spending for it?

Also he told me that he doesn't know if it is a 1 or 2 piece rear main seal. Why would that matter to me? Is that something I should be concerned about?

Any and all info would be awesome!!

P.S. are there any clearance issues with a 454 that came out of a truck if I wanted to put into a 1970 Chevelle?

I know you guys can help me. :beers:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But what does it mean 1 or 2 piece? Is that bad or good? Please tell me why it would matter?

Also, any clearance issues with a 70 Chevelle? I heard it might be a "tall deck" engine. What is that?

·
Registered
948 Posts
If it is out of a pickup it is most likely a standard deck height, not a tall deck
standard is better for header installation cleanace.
Two piece refers to the main oil seal on the crank, comes in two pieces vs one on the newer blocks.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Nothing wrong with the two pc. seals, just a different design. Pickup trucks used the same engine as a passenger car, just maybe a different pan and pickup as Chris said. Otherwise, no difference. The deck is the top of the block where the head bolts on....the tall deck blocks are .400 higher, or taller, than a standard block, measured from the crankshaft. But those engines are 427's, not 454s, and they are in bigger trucks, like dump trucks, busses, etc, not pickups or suburbans.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One more thing to add, the truck 454 motors are usually 4 bolt main motors, sometimes with a steel crank, but most to my knowledge are small 'round' port heads which are poor on flow, you wont want to use those.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Don't forget that the 2 piece vs 1 piece real seals require a different flywheel/flexplate if my memory serves me well. Hopefully someone will chime in if this is incorrect. Also, I have a 454 out of 83 dually truck that is 2 bolt. No big deal but just a heads up that not all ( and maybe not the majority) truck motors are 4 bolt.

Durand

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Mine came out of a 76 dually. It's a 2 bolt main, cast crank with peanut port heats and quadrajunk carb. I swear i can drop the clutch at idle and it won't die, a real stump puller and fun to drive around town but right about 4k rpm it goes flat.......LOL.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What kind of numbers would one of those motors put up, I'm tryin to convince my parents to let me buy one

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
tell your parents it a smog engine, won't make over 200 HP.

DOes anybody know what was the first year of peanut port heads? I thought it was in the 80's

·
Registered
209 Posts
I doubt that will work, but if you see my post in the GM350/290 thread then you'll see why I want one, And whats so good bout peanut ports?

·
Registered
520 Posts
It depends if the block, crank, and heads are in good shape for a rebore and rebuild or not.

you can easily get 450 HP with 93 octane gas out of that thing if you have the regular size oval port heads - and have them reconditioned, fresh pistons/rings (higher compression recommended), a moderate hydraulic cam, peformance intake manifold, headers, and 750 cfm carb. Nothing fancy.

I believe if you have the heads ported, and throw on some roller rockers you can add another 40-50 HP.

none of that parts and labor in itself is expensive - but it all adds up - that's the problem. couple hundred bucks here and there and everywhere and next thing you know you've spent another $1500 (minimum) on top of the price you paid for the engine to begin with.

you can easily spend $1000 just for machine shop services on the block, heads, or crank (guys help me out here).

last year I spent around $800 for a engine shop to have my oval port iron BB heads reconditioned, and ported. they put in all new valves, seats, guides, springs, seals, decked it, etc. Maybe I should have just bought new aluminum heads (I probably should have). I should find my receipt - I don't remember the exact cost but I know it was near $1000.

are you planning on tearing the 454 apart and rebuilding it fresh - or just removing it from the truck and installing it in your vehicle as is?

Lee

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
, And whats so good bout peanut ports?
Nothing, that's the problem. They have very small intake and exhaust runners/ports, so they are not a good candidate for performance. The make a great low rpm stump puller, but you wouldnt get good reliable higher rpm performance out of them. For a strictly street engine that you dont plan on turning past 4.5K or so, they would probably suffice. Otherwise, go for some other chevy heads.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If the water pump housing meets the top of the block at the heads you have a standard deck.If it is a 366 or 427 talldeck..the clearance is increased by .400".Easily viewed with the eye..no need to break out the calipers.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Besides determining if its a tall block or not..Id suggest pulling a valve cover and getting the casting #'s off the top of the head....Then determine what the heads are...hopefully they will say on the top of the head Hi-perf and 781 on the head. Those a probably whats on there and a good candidate for some performance work. doesnt matter if its 2 bolt or 4 bolt block..whens the last time you heard of a 2 bolt main BB letting go at a main cap. I never have except when you approch RPM beyond resonable limits for that block which I would guess to be over 7K . With 781 or 049 heads, stock crank, stock rods with upgraded hardware, valve change and mild port work, a mid 500 lift cam on 110LSA, and a 750 cfm carb you should easily approach 450-500 hp and Tq figures. Take note though ....even budget big block builds are quite a bit more expensive than a small block build. Good luck in trying to convince your parents.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just recently put together a 454 out of a truck, it was 2 blt main w/cast crank to replace the one presently in my 86 one ton. Bought used motor for $500, machine shop bill for lower end $800, forged piston engine kit $625 +/-, xtreme comp cams full kit $400+/-, carb/intake $400, heads are 71 oval port that I was lucky enough to get for free from a buddy whose machine shop had just closed otherwise expect to pay $800-$1000 like someone else had mentioned for a rebuilt set. Stay away from the small port heads period if your rebuilding, there is too much to gain by using anything else.

·
Registered
422 Posts
ya..........peanut ports are no good!! i built a budget 468 2 yrs ago......just through together what i could come across.. 2 bolt main truck motor 25cc dome pistons, peanut port heads, holley750 edlelbrock rpm intake.. i put some 373s and a th350 with 3200 stall to that combo its a tork monster for about 3 seconds!!! then its just loud and slow after 4k:sad: finally got me some 781s and ported them out and got a comp magnum 286 cam cant wait to put it together and loose those peanuts!!!:hurray:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts