Team Chevelle banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Nice and tidy!
Mark, is it not going to run with air filter in place? Is that what the springs holding the base down to the carb are for?
About how much HP or et is a belt driven water pump and or an alternator worth?
Maybe 14 HP

Reactions: WHT/73

·
Premium Member
16,597 Posts
Naw, he hasnt gone with electric drives in that 68 yet. ;)

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Im impressed youre getting that kind of power out of it even with that weeny cam..super cool.
Noone would guess by hearing it thats for sure. Just goes to show its all in the heads. Good job man.
Did you put this on CF? That will open some eyes.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Mark have you ever tried a "custom" spec'd cam vs. your own specs? If so what were your findings? Thanks!

Reactions: Busted Knuckles

·
Premium Member
16,597 Posts
While I shouldn't answer for Mark, my "spin on it" (its like politics now, aint it!? ) is that Mark ports those heads to work with a "weeny" cam in the mid lift #s, which are NOT the easiest numbers to build a head port to. The ports work so well, that you don't need valve events to "crutch" them.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
I think, over the years, magazine articles and various engine build off competitions have skewed our perspective on how to build a motor.
"Weeny" cams often have mellow ramp rates, require less spring pressure, don't necessarily warrant increased rocker arm ratios, and are often easier on the lifters. This all adds up to potential reliability and increased engine life, IMHO.
Mark has made/posted a number of videos of his 467 BBCs that make over 600 HP but still have 16 inches of vacuum at idle. That's VERY impressive in my book.....weeny cams and all. :)

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Im impressed youre getting that kind of power out of it even with that weeny cam..super cool.
Noone would guess by hearing it thats for sure. Just goes to show its all in the heads. Good job man.
Thanks-whats CF?

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I think, over the years, magazine articles and various engine build off competitions have skewed our perspective on how to build a motor.
"Weeny" cams often have mellow ramp rates, require less spring pressure, don't necessarily warrant increased rocker arm ratios, and are often easier on the lifters. This all adds up to potential reliability and increased engine life, IMHO.
Mark has made/posted a number of videos of his 467 BBCs that make over 600 HP but still have 16 inches of vacuum at idle. That's VERY impressive in my book.....weeny cams and all. :)
Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is my favorite build that you've done. I would like to try this intake on a mild 454 or even a 496 with a set of your 049's and a small HR cam.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
No.....like to go my own way-is that surprising?
Not surprising at all actually. Just wondering if there were some more gains to be had that’s all. Personally I wouldn’t think so but that’s just me.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
YES I did post on the Corvette forum, and heres what one posted:

"Its harder than you think to get a 390 HP 427 into the 12s"

·
Premium Member
16,597 Posts
Our MJ467 pulls 14.0 Hg, for the record. And weenie cam, heck ACES1 called my UD276/284 short track grind " weenie". He'd likely call the Isky roller a " no ballz". Yeah, WATCH THIS! :D I did ask Mark about using Harold's old cam ( rollerized) , but he has his formula and it flat out works!

( no bust on ACES1, he was just " ridin' his Yanqui buddy" at a Chevellebration goodie bag stuffing session.)

141 - 160 of 181 Posts