Team Chevelle banner

101 - 120 of 181 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,597 Posts
My cam grinder( Spirro) refaces older lifters, and has older cam cores, to what extent I don't know.
I had DELTA cams resurface a set of Crane solids I had experienced human error on. Seems to work quite well.

Super nice build Mark!

Nice +10 hp QJ tweak to boot!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like 65Cayne's numbers. That's a pretty small cam for 427 cubic inches.

Chas

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Looks like a couple of BOP Q-jets, good carbs. If anyone wants to test a good Eddy carb at the track, the 800 thunder carb works really well.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
How much initial timing and how much all in? Sorry if I missed that info earlier.
I love me some 427 bbc! Real nice power on a mild cam.

I’ve got a slightly larger hydraulic roller cam and about the same CR, and just made slightly more HP and to than you, and I’m using AFR oval heads.

Real nice work,

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
How much initial timing and how much all in? Sorry if I missed that info earlier.
I love me some 427 bbc! Real nice power on a mild cam.

Joe
Thanks. Theres only one way I run timing on a automatic trans, and most of you know thats all in, and thats because it makes the most power that way. 41 degrees, it was snowing and humid on my last test. But I'am not done testing yet, I have another 2 carbs to test and a oil change to make.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Thanks. Theres only one way I run timing on a automatic trans, and most of you know thats all in, and thats because it makes the most power that way. 41 degrees, it was snowing and humid on my last test.
same. Mine made the best power at 43 degrees. I just checked, you have a bit more squeeze than me and I’ve got more cam and “better” (expensive) heads. Damn, feels like I should be doing better.

you’re making great power.

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
same. Mine made the best power at 43 degrees. I just checked, you have a bit more squeeze than me and I’ve got more cam and “better” (expensive) heads. Damn, feels like I should be doing better.

you’re making great power.

Joe
What heads are you running?

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Thanks. Theres only one way I run timing on a automatic trans, and most of you know thats all in, and thats because it makes the most power that way. 41 degrees, it was snowing and humid on my last test. But I'am not done testing yet, I have another 2 carbs to test and a oil change to make.
it that due to the elevation you are running these engines at?? [mile high+ elevation]

does the head material and chamber play into the equation?

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
it that due to the elevation you are running these engines at?? [mile high+ elevation]

I'am @ 6400 feet, not sure I understand the question, I will say the 820 head is not as good as a 781 or 049, I almost scrapped these heads during my build, but already had the pistons. And actually it might keep me from getting 500 HP, and more important what if it runs 11.03 best............was it worth it?

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
I'am @ 6400 feet, not sure I understand the question, I will say the 820 head is not as good as a 781 or 049, I almost scrapped these heads during my build, but already had the pistons. And actually it might keep me from getting 500 HP, and more important what if it runs 11.03 best............was it worth it?
If it makes you smile, of course it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #114

Ok I think I understand your question, chamber and water in the air play into it.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Mr. Vortecpro

What % of the power of your builds do you attribute to precise and accurate machine work vs the run of the mill crate engines.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Hi Mark,

I noticed on all dyno runs torque is DECREASING at starting point of 3500RPM; Any idea where peak occurs and how much more it's making below 3500?? I'm guessing 3500 is close to peak..

You just need to buy a few more shop trucks to "store" these engines.! Are you sure this isn't going in the green Impala??

Bob

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very good results mr.pro. I wonder just how much power was last with that intake. If that motor or a similar done 454 would you be able to get 530 horsepower. I wonder if you have it almost 1 point of compression and a little head and intake work and get the power up to 530. Or even switch to the factory aluminum dual plane on the bigger cube motor where it could end up. Just thinking out loud.

RH

101 - 120 of 181 Posts