Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1968 427 435 hp engine, and the serial number starts with CC. My guess it is a replacement block, but does anyone know if replacement blocks with serial numbers were used across all the models , or is the CC identifier just for a specific model, such as the Corvette.
The engine has another unusual feature, and that is the crank, (still mic'ed out to stock specs) is a cross drilled, nitrided, and the main journals are grooved. I have seen a fair number of bb cranks, and I have never seen a stock grooved crank,
Will polishing the crank remove the nitride finish on the crank?
Any thoughts.
Bob

·
Registered
822 Posts
Block serial number should start with CE, not CC, if it is a warranty or over the counter motor. No factory cranks came with a groove in them, someone must have modified it. I have a STD/STD steel 396 crankshaft #6223 that has had the mains grooved, sold it with a motor and the guy brought it back. Said is engine builder said the crank was unuseable because of it. Some factory cranks were crossdrilled from the factory that came in the high HP cars, believe all the #7115 cranks were crossdrilled, but only the #6223 cranks that went into 375HP motors were crossdrilled, all others were not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the block stored, so it wasn't easy to see the stamped number, it is CE. I have read before that there is no need to groove the crank, but I was never able to determine if it was done by the manufacturer or a machine shop. What confuses me, is the stock main and rod stock journal dimensions. I can't see how someone spent all that money to groove a new crank.
Bob

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
it used to be a thing. even on new cranks. time has left it in the dust, not done anymore. sort of a 70s thing.

·
Premium Member
11,261 Posts
yup, this was "the hot ticket" at one point.....folks would do this with new as well as used stuff

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Some people used to think that fully grooved bearings (upper & lower) were "better" too. Not true.

I would also not use a grooved crank regardless of any other tricks done to it.

Most aftermarket cranks today are 4340 steel, cross drilled, nitrated and have radiused bearing surfaces. Ya rarely need more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts