Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks-
I am doing some research into an L92/4L80E swap into my 70. I would sell the current motor and transmission to help fund the project after I find the correct new motor. The specs for the motor are as follows:

Engine
427 + .030", 500 miles since rebuilt by previous owner. Have all receipts and machine shop specs.
Forged crank and pistons, heavy duty rods
Rectangular port raced ported heads with big valves
Solid roller cam
Roller rockers
Edelbrock air gap RPM intake
BG Mighty Demon 850 carb

Transmission
TH400, rebuilt with transgo shift kit, 3200 stall converter

What would be a fair starting price for these items? Ideally I'd sell them separately as complete units rather than part the engine out. I'm looking to pick the new motor up next summer and dive in next winter in my tiny garage. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
The date codes of the motor may add as much value as anything. If it is a 67 4351 427 with an early code it gets a lot of attention. Make sure you know exactly what this is first.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Get all the numbers you can find! The block casting number is behind the driver's side head. The engine code might be on a pad in front of the passenger side head. There are other casting numbers on the block that will help identify and date it. If you pull the valve covers you can get the head casting numbers.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
For some people it may make a difference. Is it a real 427 or a 454 w/ a 396 crank? For me personally, it makes no difference. Just depends on the buyer.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually, looking at the pic, i think it is 3963512. i'll post it in a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
3963512 is correct. That could be a 427 or a 454 block. You need the casting date to know which it is. Also need to know if it is a 2 or 4 bolt main block. Casting numbers off the heads would be a big help to. Without knowing all this info it could be worth anywhere from $1000 to $5000 or more.
James

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll pull a VC tomorrow and check out the heads -- are there any other numbers on the block?

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Get the date code off of the back of the block. It is on top where the transmission mounts. It will look something like this, C 21 9. Also get the dates off of the heads. They should look like the engine date.
James

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great to know! I'll pop a vc off and take a look at the heads as well. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Here is a good reference point. I located a true 67 4351 427. It carried a May 67 date. That is important because the window of cars it could be used in, Corvettes, is very small. Was offered $1200 for it. If It had a Fall 66 date the value would have been at least twice that because of how many more cars it could have gone in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts