Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly believe I'm in the right place, finally!

HEI part number 1103465 / 3F17. Has two sets of leads. On of course goes to the coil, the other set (four wires, black, yellow, green, red) have a straight 4 pin connector. The connector I believe goes to the "brain" on the original vehicle (going on my stock 67 El Camino). Can I leave this alone, or do I need to connect anything to the plug?

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
One of those "computerized" HEIs will not work without the computer. If you must try please have a fire extinguisher near by.

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
If you want to go with an HEI in an early engine, you need a 75-80/pre computer unit (some late 1980 cars had computers). Also, if you are wanting electronic ignition in an early car, I would really encourage you to at least consider staying with a stock style point type dist and add a PerTronix conversion and high voltage coil such as an MSD Blaster II (red) or PerTronix (black) Flame Thrower (I think you would be happier).

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
106 Posts
Heres an easy identifier.The Computer controlled Distributors, never had a vacuum or mechanical advance mechanism, the ECM did that. So if your distributor has this, then you have what is called an ESC distributor, which used a knock sensor & a module to control (retard) ign timing if it began to ping. Look at the 4 wire connector, you will see the terms labeled ABCD, cut A & C out of the connector, & butt splice them together.Then your distributor will work like a regular HEI!! If you do not do this it will not ever start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to tell you, the last answer from 66 sounds like what I thought. I have a little electrical/electronics background and figured that the signal would have to "come back" from the computer, so shorting would be a logical choice.

I looked up some info and found that there were in fact units with Vacuum advance that did use the 5 and 7 connector module (as posted, for emissions purposes), so I thought, would it also be possible to remove the module and replace with the 4 connector version. The pulse system is the same (two wires), the only difference is the size of the connectors that connect to the "pulse" wires (an easy enough remedy).

I hate to replace a "shell" that is perfectly good, when a simple fix is all it takes.

And I always keep a fire extinguisher handy, had one accident years ago with a glass fuel filter. Didn't loose anything, but it certainly left it's mark on the car and my memory!

Thanks for the prompt replies, everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.