Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i have heard "no replacement for displacement" enough times so i found a 406 400 60over, needs rebuilt but doesn't have a ridge, fella bought it from a kid that stripped the screw holding the balancer, ran it anyway
and it threw it outa wack, guy just needs to get rid of it and other stuff. heres the list and costs
400sb $125
w/heads $175
441heads $50
balancer (new)$70
Flexplate $25
hei 40
4bolt block 72 model
cam looks worn he said and so he bought a
new crane 260 cam w/anti pump up lifters $70

he mentioned the pistons being near flat w/1/1000 dish or so, any idea of compression? w/76cc heads

this may be the replacement for my 355 since i have to have the block cleaned up and crank polished anyway. ($175) and i need a new balancer too so that's more $ that i have to spend regardless
also (sorry this is soo long) what kinda hp would i get from this w/ my current 441 ported 2.02/1.6 heads, roller 1.6 rockers,using his cam?

sorry again for the long post but Tax Return will be here soon
AND DON'T tell me to go BB ..... someday i will

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
36 Posts
A lot of the guys that are on the monte list run a 406. They are much happier with it than a 350. By the way chev-hell are you going to the feb swapmeet in decatur.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would pass it up. It sounds shady to me. .060 overbore is max on a 400 (I think). If it needs to be bored you are up the creek+plus the crank needs some work on the snout. That leaves pistions,rods,and tin for $175. Thats to much I think. If their are flat cam lobes nasty stuff has been circulating thru the engine.
Then again you might be able to heli-coil the crank and stab a cam/lifters in it, and call it good.
Its a bunch of work,but it might work.

[This message has been edited by 406chevelle (edited 01-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 406chevelle (edited 01-26-2000).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with 406chevelle. A .060 over bore on a 400ci is pushing it. The cylinder walls become quite thin and the deck space between the bores and staem holes is reduced. I would imagine that you would encounter a lot of over-heating problems with that block. I have a 400ci bored .040 over = 408ci. I was real hesitant to go .040 over but that was my only choice I had left at the time. I believe that I will still be ok. There is still enough material left in the bores and deck to provide adequate strength and control overheating. I also plan to modify my block by blocking coolant passages, installing head studs to strengthen the deck surface, and going with aluminum heads to dissapate heat quicker. Everything that I have read so far from various sources all recommend the modifications I just listed. I hope they are right...

·
Registered
67 Posts
406 ya good motor .030 over. The.060over 400 not so good, probable overheating, if cam worn I'm sure the rest will show wear too. In my opinion .060 400 is junk. The .030 .040 Max is still a good motor.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i still have the 355 rich but the crank needs polished in 1 journal that i know of (rust stain present) and the block has some of the holes filled in by dirt dobbers because it set up soo long, so my thinking (either makes or loses me money) was since i have to buy a balancer anyway and do the crank/block thing i may find a good deal on a 400 and for the little extra have a lot more torque and hp. i just always keep my options open, that's how i get soooo much for sooo little $$$ jk

oh turns out i have a 350 in my car now (wimpy though)

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355)

Ft.Worth, Tx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.