Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you attach the power steering on your 400 block? Mine doesn't have the provisions that the 327 had for the lower bracket. I will get the casting number off it today and see what it says. Maybe that will help

Anyone have a manual steering box for sale?

------------------
David Nafarrete
Team Chevelle Gold
1965 406 6speed
(Soooo close to being on the road)

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
HUH????? I'v missed something here.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I assume youre using a short water pump if you are talking about a lower bracket..I have never used a short pump on a 400, but I thought all small blocks still had the two tapped bosses on the front even if they werent used..if they arent there, switch to a long water pump and brackets and all will be well, theres plenty of room for the longer pump.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the junkyard is in your future tomorrow morning. If you switch to the long pump like all 400's had, you will need the proper brackets for the pump as well. And probably a pump also. Best way to get all that stuff fast and correct is to yank them off any 70 -76 small block car. It will look cleaner if you grab one without AC if you are not using it now?? The unused bracket mount is ugly. Avoid the 77 up since it mounts higher and you will not be able to see the timing pointer. Sand the stuff down good and paint it black, trade in the junkyard short pump at the local autozone. Or order nice trick stuff from summit and wait till next week.

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,972 Posts
Some of the blocks were not drilled and tapped for the "55 Chevy motor mount holes" but the bosses are still there. Get out the drills and tap, have fun. Use the passenger side lower hole as a depth guide. I think you can hit water if you get carried away on the upper hole. Not really a big deal, just a pain to do in the car.

Tom

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. Yes I am using the short pump setup and I had know idea that all 400 came with the long pump. So where did the pump and all that jazz go? What do you mount it to if not the block? The pump?

Well I called the machine shop today. They said they would do it for me no charge since they found the block. And they could do it while I wait.

I want to keep the short pump, I already have all the accesories for it. And when I say all I mean all. Weiand alum pump, alum pulleys, custom brackets for the alternator (powdercoated), and a custom P.S. brackets (powdercoated). So for me to make the switch would be a pain.

Is it a bad idea to drill the assembled motor? I guess I will make sure everything is plugged up to avoid shavings getting in somewhere.

I can't believe I have to take that whole thing back to the shop. It was a pain getting it home. I have a shell on the back of my pickup. The cherry-picker can't get in it. So me a guy from the shop did it the hard way. PITA

[This message has been edited by David Nafarrete (edited 08-13-99).]

W

·
0 Posts
How about this, with the short pump you can use a Mercruiser combo mount that bolts to the driver side head and mounts both the power sterring and altenator. I bet the sucker is expensive and would require the use of the pulleys as well, but it all bolts on.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 08-14-99).]

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just drilled and tapped my block with no problems now all i need to do is find the right power steering pump bracket.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine are from Bill's Hot Rod here in california. You can get them at the auto swap meet (Pomona or Long Beach). They look really nice. Can get chrome or powdercoat. But they are not cheap. Worth the money if you want both function and form. I got the powdercoat black

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.