Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 402 engine that I would like to know what its worth. It is complete from carb, to oilpan, has both exhaust manifolds, and has PS pump, AC compressor, water pump, all brackets/pullys except for the alternator.

This is a 300hp 402 from a 1971 Chevelle SS 396
engine codes are...
back block stamp - 3969854
front block pad - T0121CLB and 11Jxxxxxx (x=serial number)
heads - 3993820

Carb/intake/exhaust man. are all numbers correct for a 1971 402

This engine will probably need a rebuild. Its been sitting unused for many years. Ran when removed. Please let me know a ballpark figure of what this complete engine would be worth as it is. THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that really all that it would be worth? I figured being complete with all the brackets, distributor, coil, accessories, and everything being number matching would make it worth more than that. Everyone agree that $700 would be top dollar for this? Thanks alot for the replies!!

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
One of the guys on here just bought a running 402 for about $1500.

I think it was Mr. 4 speed, but don't quote me - he was just looking for a running big block for one of his customers.

Bottom line, it's worth more when someone needs it....

·
Registered
631 Posts
Please let me know a ballpark figure of what this complete engine would be worth as it is. THANK YOU!!
I sold my 402 minus the intake, carb, exhaust and PS pump for $1000.00 and it was completely stock. So I would think $1200-$1500 with everything you mention.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, Thanks guys. Thats closer to what I had in mind. Im going to take the heads off of it and check out the cylinders. Make sure there is no gouges or anything.

Anyone here interested in this engine? Thanks again for the help!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ok, Thanks guys. Thats closer to what I had in mind. Im going to take the heads off of it and check out the cylinders. Make sure there is no gouges or anything.

Anyone here interested in this engine? Thanks again for the help!!
List it in the free classifieds here on TC, someone will want it or know someone who does. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Is that really all that it would be worth? I figured being complete with all the brackets, distributor, coil, accessories, and everything being number matching would make it worth more than that. Everyone agree that $700 would be top dollar for this? Thanks alot for the replies!!
Well, considering 396's aren't really all that desired unless it's for an original resto....plus since it's a 71 model block it's not as valuable as a 69 or 70 block.....I paid $600 for mine (1970 L34 block) and it needed an overhaul. I've seen 454's go for more than that needing an overhaul.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I agree, to some guy that doesn't need the engine, and wants a deal, then the $500 to $700 would be accurate, but to a guy like me that has an original 71 SS 402, if I didn't have the original motor, and was looking for a "correct" one like yours, then $2,500 easy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, to some guy that doesn't need the engine, and wants a deal, then the $500 to $700 would be accurate, but to a guy like me that has an original 71 SS 402, if I didn't have the original motor, and was looking for a "correct" one like yours, then $2,500 easy
Yeah, I figured that it would be worth considerably more to someone that needed specifically a 1971 dated engine. I put it up for sale on the classifieds. I put it at $1800. Hopefully thats not too greedy.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
tawd, I think you are right on the money with that price, a guy needing a 71 engine, that is a great deal. If you need to sell it at a firesale to some guy that just loves collecting big blocks regardless of year, then you can sell it quick for the $500 to $700 like junkyard said above. I would hold out for the right buyer though, trust me, there are plenty of 71 guys out there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
tawd, I think you are right on the money with that price, a guy needing a 71 engine, that is a great deal. If you need to sell it at a firesale to some guy that just loves collecting big blocks regardless of year, then you can sell it quick for the $500 to $700 like junkyard said above. I would hold out for the right buyer though, trust me, there are plenty of 71 guys out there
Thanks for the info. I will keep an $1800 price on it then. I dont NEED to sell it, so it wont hurt having it sittin in the garage for a while.

savage, need a spare engine for your car? :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
Okay now that value has been set, please take the solicitations and requests for info to PM or Email. This forum is not ment to be used for that. His enigne is listed in the free classifieds, with all the contact info. Thanks Todd for listing it there :thumbsup: Good Luck with your sale :)

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Around here. Most wont pay more then 500-700 for a 402 that needs to be rebuilt when they can find a 454 for not much more. If its rebuilt and runs well then thats a different story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Around here. Most wont pay more then 500-700 for a 402 that needs to be rebuilt when they can find a 454 for not much more. If its rebuilt and runs well then thats a different story.

Yeah, I think we have established that to someone not wanting it for numbers matching purposes, it wouldnt be worth $2k. Im not saying there is anything wrong with the motor. Its just that it has sat a long time, it would be stupid not to freshen it up before it gets installed...

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Yeah, I think we have established that to someone not wanting it for numbers matching purposes, it wouldnt be worth $2k. Im not saying there is anything wrong with the motor. Its just that it has sat a long time, it would be stupid not to freshen it up before it gets installed...
Which is wiser to find a good 454 and freshen that up with the same amount of money and more HP in the end.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
yes I'd like to know where in kansas you are as well....I'm just south of KC

I also have an extra complete 396 as well , well kinda ....completly more motor than I want in a street car ...1968 model w/1974 454 ret. port heads , victor 2R intake and a 1100 cfm holly but it is all there like yours and I was thinking about the same money but now I wonder , I can't even entice the numbers correct fellows!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.