Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing from a TH350 trans to a 700R4, does the tail shaft need to be changed? Also, I would like to get an '87-89 year trans. How can I identify the year?
Thanks in advance to all!

·
Registered
287 Posts
There was an excellent article on tranny swapping into A-Bodies. It was featured in Hot Rod Mag or Perterson's Musclecar and if memory serves, it was in a 1995 issue... I do believe that you had to move the cross member by an inch or two and possibly make a change to the driveshaft. I hope it helps, I'll go and check and see if I still have the article around.

------------------
The proud owner of a Hot Canadian 64-SS.
ZZ4 Powered with real attitude ! :)
Chevelle Tech Gold Member

·
Registered
47 Posts
RBOMAR,

When I did mine I did not have to change the tail shaft.

I measured my T-350 from front flat surface where it mates to the engine to the end of the tail shaft flat surface where the splined shaft exits.

In my case the T-350 was 2.5 inches shorter than my 700R4 - so I had to shorten the drive shaft 2.5 inches because the 700R4 was 2.5 inches longer. Make sure the drive shaft is re-balanced after it is shortened. Measure your T-350 relative to your 700R4 because there are about three different lengths of tail shafts on the T-350 transmission.

I used the T-350 transmission steel/rubber mount to bolt it to the frame cross member after I slid the cross member back in the frame. Last I re-drilled the frame to re-attach the cross member to the frame.

It should go togheter just that simple.

John

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Super Chevy has an awesome article on tranny swapping in A-bodies a feew months back. If you need it and can't dig it up let me know.

Go SABRES!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.