Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you patroll this section regularly, you've seen a bunch of my posts over the last month or so as I went through my 400 build. Thanks to everybody who's chimed in. This are FINALLY coming together, as I've got the engine in the car tonight, and tomorrow hope to fire it up! Full specs:

-2 bolt "509" casting block with APR studded mains
-CNC motorsports balanced rotating assembly with Eagle steel crank, SIR capscrew rods, and KB hyper pistons (http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/product.asp?ProdID=20509&CtgID=), 9.73:1 compression w/65cc chambers
-Lunati Barebones hydraulic roller PN 10021 (http://www.lunatipower.com/CamSpecCard.aspx?partNumber=10021), 232/242 @ .050, .540 lift w/1.6 rockers (Harland Sharp 1.6 rockers). 278/288 advertised duration w/Lunati hyd roller lifters
-AFR 195 Street Eliminator heads, straight plug w/65 cc chambers
-Edelbrock Performer RPM Airgap intake
-Hedman 65101 Husler 1-3/4" primary tube, 3" collector headers (for now, dual 2 1/2" exhaust)
-Moroso 8qt kicked out pan w/matching pickup, "Z28" standard volume, high pressure oil pump
-GM HEI (for now) w/melonized gear
-Holley 850 double pumper

Backed by a TCI Super Street Fighter TH-350 with a 3000rpm Hughes converter, and a 12-bolt, 4.10 posi rear with M/T 275 radials. All in my 72 Chevelle 2-door. I've had the car about a year and a half, so far we've competely redone the front and rear suspension, 4-wheel disc brakes, 12 bolt rear end from TLowe, new interior (except dash), FINALLY should be able to drive it and enjoy it for a while now!

And now, on to the pictures!

Block home from machine shop:

Rotating assembly installed:

View from above, piston tops:

One head on, checking cam installation:

Both heads on, valvetrain in place:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Intake bolted on, valve covers put on:

On the stand, ready to drop in with motor mounts, water pump, etc installed:

Home again, for the first time (hope it's there for a long time!):

Passenger side header:

Driver side header:

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Very nice,# 7 spark plug looks interesting

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Hopefully you took the Sir rods apart and retorqued them to see if they stay round as we have had alot of them in the shop and its always been a problem keeping them round once taken apart.

Was the pin ends of the rods honed to fit the wrist pins??

Hopefully they have corrected the problems every one has seen with those rods!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lookin good!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Looks like fun.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
They sure look nice when they "your motor" are all new and shiny. Got looking at your NEW Hedman 65101 Husler 1-3/4" primary tube, 3" collector headers. Got me thinking about my FlowTech angle plug 1-5/8”x3” headers. Went to Hedmans website to find a 1-3/4" angle plug header for my 69. Got a little side tracked with Google and found Dave427's Dynatech post again "looked at that thread at least 10 times" with his coated headers c/w angle plug support. Thanks for the reminder..:thumbsup:

BTW: Why the 112 LSA..:confused:

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Hopefully you took the Sir rods apart and retorqued them to see if they stay round as we have had alot of them in the shop and its always been a problem keeping them round once taken apart.

Was the pin ends of the rods honed to fit the wrist pins??

Hopefully they have corrected the problems every one has seen with those rods!!
I dont have to say it, Carl did

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments guys! Got caught up yesterday watching the Red Raiders on TV and didn't make much progress, but now I've got everything in place and ready to start up. Spent a couple of hours working on the exhaust and tailpipes, had to cut off the old collectors and weld on the new "ball & socket" collectors. Got water in the radiator, fuel in the carb, now I'm just waiting for the kids to wake up from their naps to start it up!

As to the headers, I'm not very impressed, but what do you expect for the cheapest 1-3/4" model on the market. The #7 plug was kind of a chore, but not too bad to reach from underneath.

On the SIR rods, no I didn't think about taking them apart & back together again to make sure they're still round. Hopefully this won't be an issue. The rods were bushed for floating pins w/ spiro locks (I gave up there and had a local shop put the locks in). I'll take an IPhone video when it's running and see if I can post it up later.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
looks real good.

so far i have had no issues with my SIR rods in my 350, got about 5 to 6k miles on them,

let us know how it runs.

aaron

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I've had it out crusing some this afternoon and it runs GREAT. Sounds fairly mild, starts easily, revs EXTREMELY quickly, throttle response is instantaneous. So far just easy driving around town, took the wife & kids to Sonic for dinner. Popped it to about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle in 2nd gear once and it gets your attention. I'm going to have to pay attention to hit the shift out of first gear :) Took a short idle/rev video on the Iphone and uploaded it to Youtube (sorry, don't know how to embed the video):

Zach - Yeah pretty similar build, have you run yours at the track? I'm anxious to get this one to the track but it'll probably be spring before that happens...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mikey, it's dual 2-1/2" pipes into Flowmaster Raptor turbo mufflers (50052FLT) with turndowns right out of the muffers (just in front of rear axle). You're right, it's quiet, which is what I want. For today, I had it idling at about 950-1000 RPM, but can probably turn that down a little in the future. It's got a little bit of resonance at idle (like sitting at a stop light), but tailpipes exiting out the rear would probably help that. I had a set of Flowmasters on it when I got it, and hated them (lots of resonation and too loud for my tastes), so I put on these as a cheap get-by at least. I may go full length 3", or may just build some tailpipes at some point.

Back to those headers, to get the #7 plug tight, I had to build a special socket. I took a regular spark plug socket, cut 1/2" off the end, and welded a thin nut on the end (I used an old nut off a hood pin, perfect outside diameter and big enough to go over the spark plug). A possible alternative to this would be to use a shorter plug, but you can't get a socket over the #7 plug with a full length plug.

Also, on the 112LSA...This build has been quite the evolution. My combo previously was a 400SBC with vortec (906) heads and a flat tappet hydraulic Comp 280H cam but I wiped a lobe out...I was going to go back together with a hydraulic roller and beehive springs, and thought I could do about .500 lift, so I picked this cam (it's .507 lift w/1.5 rockers). As it turned out, the retainer to guide clearance was going to be too tight, IMO, so I decided to just scrap everything and do a full build. I already had the cam, so, I ordered the AFR heads, rotating assembly, and 1.6 rockers to pick up some more lift. I did do a 2-piece timing cover, and the AFR springs are rated to .600 lift, so I could do a cam swapo pretty easy in the future if I want.

IF (and that may be a big if) this thing makes the power I hope it will, I like the smoother idle that comes with the 112. If not, I may be looking at swapping cams sometime in 2010.

At that rate, any 1/4 (or 1/8) mile guesses for this combo? I'll be disappointed if it doesn't run 12's and I'd be tickled pink to hit high 11's, think it's doable, anybody?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Zach - Yeah pretty similar build, have you run yours at the track? I'm anxious to get this one to the track but it'll probably be spring before that happens...
Unfortunately no, but I'm going to try and get there before they shut down for the season. There are guys on here who have combo's similar to ours in the high 11s and low 12s. You might want to PM "Dirtlips408" for details.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I grew up in Lubbock. Nice Chevelle and small block. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts