Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took many years to track down the dealer installed flasher set up for my '65. I finally have all NOS parts. I don't plan to install the item for shows since it mounts right where your left knee likes to reside, but it will be displayed in the trunk as a "yet to be installed by the dealer" part along with my still-in-the-package door edge guards which I think look dorky on the car. The difference between factory installed and dealer installed items is clearly identified on my car's paperwork.

ANYWAY, a very knowledgable friend has said I have the wrong bezel for my flasher switch. I actually have three bezels which were all used in various applications as far as I know. One is a simple flat piece of black painted steel, one is all chrome and a little convex in the face with the word "PULL" embossed above the hole the switch/knob goes through and the last and what I believe is the most often used bezel is a flat chrome square with a recessed area painted black with raised chrome letters saying "PULL".

My friend says bezels with "PULL" are for an overdrive pull handle and that the flasher bezel should say "FLASHER". I seem to recall the overdrive handle itself having the word "PULL" embossed into it. Both items mount in a similar location on the bottom edge of the dash panel.

I've had the flat black steel bezel for years but the two chrome bezels came with an NOS switch set up still in the box which included the original instructions, wiring diagram, two bezels, switch, flasher relay and knob. The instructions list the two bezels as being for different applications (full-size, Chevy II, Chevelle, Corvair) but that the flat bezel is correct for Chevelle.

Did I get ripped off when I bought this NOS set up with it having the wrong bezel I need? Does it really matter that much? The instructions are not detailed enough to show what word is embossed on the bezels but the shape is an accurate depiction of the bezels I have in the kit.

I can provide pictures later if it would help. Does anyone have an NOS set up or original set up that says "FLASHER"? (If so, would the bezel be for sale?)

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Rich, I have the one out of my 64 around here somewhere, but not in easy reach and I can't find my assembly manual either. The one that was in my car was installed by the previous owner with wire nuts and will be installed correctly when I am finished. If your assembly manual doesn't have any instructions, repost here and I will look up my switch and see which bezel is with mine.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
there is only one way to fail, and thats to quit.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chev64: please check, I'd like as much confirmation as I can get. Thanks in advance.

1966: Me too. I hope that is the case. As far as I know, the bezels and knobs are all the same as installed on ALL contemporary GM products. The Chevy and Pontiac switches are the same, Buick used the same switch but with different plug shapes and I'm not sure about Oldsmobile.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.