Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be a dumb question but. Has anyone ever machined the ring gear surface of a 4 series carrier down enough to use 3 series gear ratios ??

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Richmond had some 3.xx gears available for 4 series carriers, I'd check with them to see if they are still available. If not why not just sell it or trade for a 3 series carrier.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,496 Posts
Richmond had some 3.xx gears available for 4 series carriers, I'd check with them to see if they are still available. If not why not just sell it or trade for a 3 series carrier.

Steve R
I have been trying to sell a 4 series carrier for 2 years. I spent the $462 for a new 3 series thinking I could recoup some of it. There is not too much demand for a 4.56 gear on the street anymore and if you are racing you would just use a spool. 3.73 is the highest gear for a 4 series. I went with a 3.42 and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I have been trying to sell a 4 series carrier for 2 years. I spent the $462 for a new 3 series thinking I could recoup some of it. There is not too much demand for a 4.56 gear on the street anymore and if you are racing you would just use a spool. 3.73 is the highest gear for a 4 series. I went with a 3.42 and I am very happy with it.
You are right, I wouldn't use anything over a 3.42. I'm in the planning stages of a 70 Nova that will be driven 50+ miles each way to the track and run in the "street" classes. It will wind up with something between a 3.07 to 3.42. I have several friends with street cars that run 30-40 races a year with similar gear ratios, it seems like the cutoff for a steep gear is about 15-20 miles one way.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
May be a dumb question but. Has anyone ever machined the ring gear surface of a 4 series carrier down enough to use 3 series gear ratios ??
Don't know how much you have to remove but not much meat there -I wouldn't trust it......and it would a shame to destroy such a hard to find part. Somebody would love it-you just haven't found them yet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts